Monday 19 April 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 116: Wishlisting EDITED

 Hi!

I'm nearing the end of my Lockdown project logs with me returning to work on Wednesday and I wanted to take a pause from my usual posts to have a bit of a wishlist for what I'm hoping to do for the remainder of 2021.

This lockdown has really got me enthused about sculpting, painting and gaming and despite all the stresses of being off work and having to stay home, I've really reengaged with my hobby in a way that I've not been for quite a while now and am keen to keep this going.

First up, on the Sci-fi and Fantasy front, I hope to keep going with my skirmishing so expect to see more characters and warbands for both turning up in the coming months.


I've discovered or bodged several rulesets that works with small skirmishes which allows me to play a fun game with as few as two figures a side in 30-40 minutes, something I can throw together of an evening after work and not have to spend hours working on. Similarly the low model count means I can add reinforcements or new forces without spending untold hours painting stuff, instead spending what free time I have working on a single character or some other oddment that I fancy adding.



The games themselves have been really great fun to work on with each giving me new ideas for future games, forces and scenarios and it's been a bit of a renaissance for the old hobby mojo which is utterly fantastic and something I'm keen to keep going with!


But where to go from here? The answer in the short term is to keep going but what do I want to try out in the future and for that, I am posting out my random jabberings to see if I can get my ideas straight and focused somewhat.

There are several games that I'd love to try, if for no other reason than to relive the 90's and with my newfound enthusiasm, I think I can make a bit of a go at them in some form or other.  You may note that many of these are older GW stuff and I had previously posted that I was trying to move away from GW and for the most part this is true as I've no real interest in the newer GW stuff. Yes the rules are a bit more modern and the figures are technically far more advanced than the old stuff, but there's something really pleasing about these old, characterful sets that I can't seem to bet past so in no particular order, here's some of the odds and ends I want to try out in the coming year:


I've got a real soft spot for Man o War as it was a great game that just didn't seem to catch on back in the 90's and I've got the rules, cards and tokens (somewhere!) but no ships. and think it would be a fun project to sculpt some of my own. Coupled with the fact that a game can be played with as few as 3 ships a side, it might be a good project to try something a bit different. The only downside is the fact that playing a game isn't a super quick process, often taking well over an hour to play a small game.


Necromunda was another game I played loads back in the mid 90's at high school with my Orlocks regularly getting thrashed by Goliaths and Spyrers but the campaign system was great fun and each ganger, even the lowliest Juve had real character and personality. Games could be quick and brutal but I'd need to build a literal ton of scenery to do it justice so maybe it will be one for a longer term goal.


Gorkamorka is a brilliant game with a strong Mad Max vibe with post apocalyptic vehicles thundering around a desert landscape with gangs of Orks fighting over scrap. I'd love the excuse to convert some suitable vehicles for it and wonder about incorporating it into a Necromunda/Rogue Trader sort of a game. It's definitely something to think about and could be a really good way for me to build up my Orky warband or possibly convert the rules for Rusty Robots and the Scrapyard as the setting and combatants...


Moving onto Fantasy, I do love the setting and campaign system of Mordheim but the aesthetic doesn't really fit my cartoony sculpting style for fantasy but I may put together a few sculpts that would work and see how I get on.


Speaking of Fantasy, I've been working my way through sculpting the contents of my own style classic Warhammer Quest with Rats, Bats and Spiders already done. It will probably take a good six months of work to get the remainder done but I plan on chipping away at it!


There's also Warzone. With the promise of new figures from Res Nova and a kickstarter tentatively due in late autumn, I think this will be a project for next year as I'm super keen to play both the classic edition and the new set once it's released so will be keeping a close eye on developments!

I've also got a bit of an eye on playing Star Mogul, especially as I found my copy of the rules that I printed back in the day and once I've got enough suitable figures, I plan on sorting out a mini campaign out on the fringes of Imperial territory.


Another wishlist for the year is to play a game of Inquisitor. It's a bit of an oddball but I do like the RPG like elements to it and I already have the figures so may have a bash at it when I've got a day to spare and get my head around the rules!


Looking back at this post, I realised I'd forgotten to add Twilight and War of Ashes to the wishlisting! Both are beautifully imagined worlds with unique races and I'm determined to at least get the stuff I have painted and try a few games!

Finally, almost against my better judgement, I really want to play a game of either Rogue Trader or 2nd edition 40k but both of these options are distant hopes more than doable objectives as I'd need to really crack on with painting and painting full squads is not my forte so maybe I can do something similar in 6mm...


We shall see if I manage to actually carry through with any of these wishlisted hopes but at the very least, I plan on keeping on going with what I've been doing and see how things go but in the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. I used to love Man O'War. I can confirm that both old Necromunda and Mordheim hold up pretty well, and are well worth a go. I don't think you'd have to adopt Mordheim's look, if you used the rules.

    I've got the Inquisitor book, but I've never played it. The rules look incredibly complex, perhaps needlessly so. I always thought that Necromunda had the right balance between complexity and playability. The extra rules in Outlanders might be of interest, especially the ones for creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the community editions of Necromunda and Mordheim and will be trying them out in the coming months once I have enough scenery!

      Inquisitor has some really interesting concepts but as you say is needlessly complex but I may incorporate some of the elements to my future games!

      I'll need to have a bit of a think about what I'm going to do next as I have lots of options!

      Delete