Saturday 10 April 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 107: Spider Swarm!

 Hi!

Following on from my swarm of Rats, I've now got a swarm of Spiders to menace my adventurers with, be it Fisher's Inquisition team or my Boar Company!


Now I fear and hate spiders so I was in a bit of a quandary as to how to represent the eight legged beasties in my games but after a bit of experimentation, I churned out eight of them using super sculpey.


Much like the rats, they're not very detailed but do the job for low level menaces for adventurers from throughout time and space and will be making a handy addition to my collection. Yes I know they're not anatomically correct for proper spiders but they're as accurate as I'm willing to sculpt them!

In other news, I have been struck by the very different approaches by two different companies who have the licenses for some of my favourite games, namely Res Nova with Warzone Eternal and Clockwork Publishing with Chronopia.

Without getting into the ins and outs of it all, I can't help but feel that Res Nova is developing a very professional approach that will have a tight focus on a small skirmish game and a kickstarter that should deliver just what they promise as everything we hear about the process has been professionally done with people who seem to know what they're doing. While it would be awesome to see lots of figures and artwork, I'm really pleased and reassured by the approach they're taking and feel a great deal of confidence that this new Warzone is going to be just my cup of tea!

 Clockwork publishing on the other hand has been showing sneak peeks of digital renders for a while now and seem to be trying to cover everything from solo and coop gaming to skirmish to mass battle all in one go which I can't help but feel would be better suited to future releases rather than trying to jam it all in their first release. Similarly, the digital renders we've seen thus far aren't inspiring me with too much confidence. Yes digital sculpting allows for dynamic poses but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. Also the poses chosen for some have been awkward with ropey or soft detail. I can't help but feel they are trying to do too much and will end up pleasing no one but hardcore fans of the original, many of whom still prefer the old sculpts...

Only time will tell as to which will succeed and I really hope they both do but even without any physical product to show, I'm much more inclined to put my money towards Warzone Eternal than Chronopia.

But enough of my ramblings! Tomorrow will see another game of Planet 28 being played with Inquisitor Fisher venturing into the sewers beneath Freeport City in search of a nameless horror so until then, All the best!

6 comments:

  1. They are great little spiders! I really like the back patterns. Really reminds me of a spider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I'd originally planned on having a skull pattern on their backs but went with an easier finish.

      Delete
  2. How can they be so cute yet so menacing at the same time?? Oh, you nailed them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only real spiders were a bit more cute and a bit less menacing!

      I'm thinking of making some larger ones too for a more difficult challenge for my adventurers to deal with!

      Delete
  3. They look just right, especially for the setting. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've enjoyed making and painting them and look forward to my adventurers slaying many of them in future games!

      Delete