Sunday 22 July 2012

Unpacking Lead

Hi!

Well I have now unpacked all the miniatures I have and organised them as best I can and I was rather surprised that I was able to put together a small Chaos force from the odds and ends I have kicking around.

Heres a bit of a breakdown of the force so far:

1 Chaos Champion (Citadel plastic)
1 Chaos Sorcerer (Citadel)
5 Marauders with hand weapons and shields (1 Citadel, 3 Ral Partha, 1 Unknown)
6 Marauders with 2 handed weapons (Grenadier)
10 Thugs (9 Grenadier, 1 Unknown)
6 Centaurs (1 Citadel, 5 Ral Partha)
3 Chaos Hounds (2 Citadel, 1 Chainmail)
1 Beastman (Citadel)
6 Hobgoblin Archers (1 Citadel, 1 Chainmail, 4 Grenadier)
1 Troll (Citadel)

Looking at the collecting its sadly light on old school Citadel but at the same time theres lots of old Grenadier, Ral Partha and a smattering of 80s and early 90s Citadel goodness which is good and they all look rather decent together. I now need to clean the models and prime them. I am going to be attempting to do so with Gesso following some interesting experiments carried out on other blogs and forums so watch this space!

Chaos Types

I must admit that it was a rather unexpected finding as I thought that I had lots more Dwarves and Gobbos but it looks like my first 3rd edition army will be Chaos. At present I am unsure if I am going to paint them up in old school wackiness or uber bright early 90s or even a more muted finish and suspect I will be having to produce some test pieces to see what works best.

Heraldry of Chaos

I have plenty to be getting on with but think that the units will need beefing up and having command models added soonish and I really need a more suitable general than the plastic Chaos Warrior from the early 90s and will be on the lookout for a more suitable character when possible and the plastic fantastic model will be downgraded to a unit champion.

Still all this will have to wait until I have all the figures I have in my collection painted so it may be some time before I get chance to find re-enforcements.

Looking through the rest of my collection, I also have a unit of about a dozen Dwarves, 15 or so Goblins, a few Orcs and several other bits and bobs so theres plenty to keep me entertained for the next few months and I am hoping to have a day of basing, cleaning and priming soon so that I can get the whole lot undercoated and ready to paint.

The reason for this is that it will get me motivated but also I have found a figure with the very beginnings of lead rot (a tiny discolouring on the haft of a Heartbreaker Elf sorcerers staff) and am a bit concerned that it may spread. I am already in the process of cleaning the lot and several have survived baths of Dettol but the whole lot will be getting a bath in warm soapy water to clear the dust, grime and otherwise annoying bits off them before drying out and getting a good coat of white gesso primer applied which will seal them against the elements.

Once I have them primed I will add a wash of dark brown ink to bring out the detail and they will be ready to paint!

All the best!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I now need to think of which of the four great powers to paint them up as!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete