Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Pitfalls of Old White Dwarf Perusal!

Hi!

Well we have finished moving all our stuff up to Edinburgh which is great but it led to me perusing an old copy of White Dwarf with perilous consequences!

Curse You White Dwarf!

The problem is it set off a wave of nostalgia which had me reaching for my computer to see if I could find some assorted bits and bobs on ebay and it was only with great difficulty that I resisted the urge!

What it has got me looking at is the possibility of picking up a copy of the 4th edition box set of Fantasy Battle! The reason for this is that it comes with a host of Goblins and High Elves which got me thinking about a Christmas morning many moons ago when a youthful me stood in the dark spray priming a load of gobbos that came in the box.

Whats worse is the almost irresistible urge to search out some of the warhammer figures from the mid 90s in all their technicolour glory! It was a time when the sculpting on many of the warhammer figures was a bit suspect and the paint schemes were all a dazzling array of primary colours but they have a certain charm of their own and I think that its possible to paint them up and have them actually look decent! 

Its possibly foolish but I will have to see what I can come up with! 

In other news I have found at least some of the figures I had stored at my parents and there seems to be almost enough to start a Wood Elf, Chaos and Dwarf force as well as the stirrings of a Hobgoblin mercenary contingent. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to cheat to get the armies I want so will be using a variety of Grenadier, Heartbreaker, Harlequin, Ral Partha and any others that look the part to form the units with possibly a few classic Citadel to round out the units.

I must admit I have also been on the lookout for a human force as looking at the OPPONENT FINDER there seems to be a bit of a gap in the collecting market. Further perusal of both the Warhammer Armies book and the internet found these fellows from Ral Partha:




They made me think of a poorly equipped bunch of yokel militia, perfect for various other evil types to prey on and at £1.50-£2.50 each are quite affordable and have the look of some of the older Citadel sculpts to boot! Therefore I am thinking of raising a unit of Landestrum along with a small unit of trained retainers and a character type to lead them.

That will have to wait though as I want to concentrate on getting at least one of the small collections of figures into a playable force first. I think the way to go will be to aim towards getting 250 points or so for an army which will in effect give a couple of small units and a low level character to lead them. From here I will be able to get some games in! 

From here I will be able to expand armies slowly and not go mental buying lots at once! It also means I am less likely to get bored with painting up a whole army at once and will bounce from one to the other and back until they are all painted!

Hopefully I will be able to get some progress reports up soon!
All the best!

1 comment:

  1. I think its the only way that I can actually work, flitting between projects!

    I am also going to be cracking on with sculpting and even some skirmish warbands based on the lipped round bases!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete