Tuesday 23 February 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 60: Reinforcements!

 Hi!

I've managed to get some odds and ends finished for my Imperial retinue and my Ork warbands!

First up, there's the second of my Blood Angels done:

Brother Flavius and Brother Blasius

I painted Brother Flavius using a mixture of red and orange as I wanted to get a better coverage than the red alone which took about 5-6 coats to get a smooth finish. The reddish orange mix gave a nice smooth finish in 3 coats which was far better. It also has a more traditional Blood Angels finish than the Blasius' armour.

I've got another three of the these guys to finish and am looking forward to being able to play a battle squad of five of the Empresses finest in the not too distant future.

Next up, there's a fifth Goff Ork:


Nothing too exciting about him but he will either bulk up my first mob or start  a second. I hope to eventually have about a dozen or so of the original Goff boys done and dusted which will give me enough for a good sized random encounter for my Imperial adventurers to have to deal with.

I'm planning on using a random encounter card deck, much like Warhammer Quest's back in the day but theming it for individual encounters so for example, a party exploring a region inhabited by Orks may encounter something like the following:

D6 Orks 
2D6 Orks
D6 Gretchin
2D6 Gretchin
D3 Nobz
Wierdboy plus D6 Madboyz
Mekboy plus D3 Grot minions
Runtherd plus 2D6 Grots
Escaped Slave
Looted Vehicle
Dreadnought!
D6 Freebooterz
D6 Stormboyz on route march
Warboss and Retinue (big bad for the end of a mini campaign)

The plan is to get a bunch of stuff painted up and draw 1 card at the start of the game and another at random times during the game. Coupled with some scenario driven objectives and said encounters appearing from random places, it should make for a fun game.

By adding some optional extras into the cards, with the odd heavy weapon and/or Nob having a chance to be part of the Ork mobs or the Gretchin having some Squigs or whatnot, there's lots of possibilities for bringing in new and interesting game options.

I'll have to get on with the painting and see if I can locate the figures but it's giving me some fun ideas and if I drop in some wildcards such as wandering beasties, boobytraps and so on, it should make for a lively sort of campaign.

I've got another Ork almost finished as well as one of Vash's Mechanicus warbots just needing it's base finished and will post them up tomorrow along with whatever else I may finish in the meantime but 'til then, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Uhhhhhhh! Love them! Classic minis in the glory they deserve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      The old plastic figures are rather fun to paint as the simple sculpts are so satisfying to work on!

      Delete