Friday 5 February 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 42: Retro Terrain Part 7 Brotherhood Shrine Complete!

 Hi!

I finally finished my Brotherhood Shrine for Warzone Eternal (and also handy for Rogue Trader shenanigans!) and thought I'd share some photos:


Made from tons of cardboard, its possibly the biggest terrain item I've ever made and took a load of work to get it finished but I'm really pleased with how it turned out.


It changed a few times during the build phase and got bigger and bigger until I began to worry that it was just too big for my table but it makes a really large centrepiece to my games.


After all this terrain making, I am going to take a day off before getting back into painting some random miniatures but I have lots of ideas for making more Warzone themed terrain as there's something pleasing about working on a grotty, rundown sci-fi dieselpunk/steampunk/cyberpunkish theme.


I had thought of doing a stained glass effect on the windows but went for a simpler deep purple as I was beginning to flag with the painting. I may go back to it and add a more blingy window sort of thing in the future but for the time being, this will do the job for gaming.


If I was to do it again, I suspect I'd probably make it a bit smaller and add more steampunk elements but I'm happy with it as is and had to work with the stuff I had lying around the flat and not nip to the Works or Hobbycraft to pick up interesting new elements or gubbins to ramp up the doodad level.


I now need some NPC types to occupy it, be they local denizens, suspicious priestly types or sinister cultists but will need to wait for the moment as I don't have any suitable stuff kicking around. I may yet sculpt one or two odds and ends to populate it and liven up games...


The pipework was made from green plastic coated garden wire and is really handy for adding a bit of a low grade sci-fi element to an otherwise olde church.

Finally, I've been asked for a figure to show scale and used my only Warzone figure that I still have from my old collection, the good old Wolfbane Commando!

I'll maybe do a bit of a photo shoot of the board thus far for tomorrows update but until then, All the best!

4 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. Really good work, especially since it's all cardboard. The style of the architecture is great - it looks both old-fashioned and high-tech. The painting is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I keep thinking of extra bits to add to it but am trying to restrain myself!

      Delete
  2. Very clever and well made. I like the windows, the purple is very effective.

    ReplyDelete