Sunday 17 January 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 23: Eldar

 Hi!

Here's the first of the stripped Oldhammer figures I spent a bit of time cleaning over the last day or so!

Old Eldar Gubbins

I still have a load of odds and ends to clean up, including more walker bits and a bunch of Harlequins. It's a random mix, most of which I picked up from a hobby shop in Gosport several years ago. They had been painted then primed black with a massively thick coat of paint and it eventually took soaking them in Dettol for several years and then cleaning with soapy water followed by nail polish remover to get off most of the leftover crap. 

They're not 100% clean but short of scouring them, I think I've got them looking as good as they're going to get. Sadly the arms and weapons from the hybrid metal/plastic guardians have gone missing so I'll need to source some replacements but I think I may end up using the new Eldar weapons from one of the boxed sets. 

Guardians

The last time I picked these guys up, I managed to paint a total of three of the Guardians before abandoning the project. Hopefully a different colour scheme will fix this and I'll end up with a decent little warband with a good assortment of walkers to back them up. 

I'm currently painting one of the EM4 plastic Space Ranger figures to see how I get on with him and seem to be meandering along quite nicely with the latest lockdown project, despite it going wildly off tangent into Oldhammer territory but as long as I'm enjoying it, that's the main thing!

I'm also finding myself eying up some of the more modern figures in other ranges including Beyond the Gates of Antares by Warlord and Deadzone by Mantic but thus far have remained strong and not bought anything! 

The prospect of just painting up all sorts of random odds and ends is keeping me motivated and I'm looking forward to getting more terrain made and it's looking like I'm going to have plenty of time to get stuff done as the lockdown doesn't seem to show much sign of easing yet...

In the meantime All the best and I'll post more stuff up tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Just a few bits then! Should be a nice little group when they’re painted, what Craftworke do you think you’ll go for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!

      At the moment, I must admit I've no idea which Craftworld to go for or whether I just want to paint them in a different colour scheme altogether or go for one of the pirate bands from the original Rogue Trader!

      Delete
  2. Cool! I love those Rogue Trader eldar. I've got a few of the spindly dreadnoughts, too, and some harlequins. I really ought to paint up a whole raiding force one day. Those painted guardians look great. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been perusing some old White Dwarf magazines for painting inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Nice! An Eldar pirate band was the last project I had started pre-covid. (I worked on the house projects instead of hobbies). Can't wait to get back to them in the next couple of weeks.

    Eldar was my first army, and I have a soft spot for them. I collected a bunch of rogue trader ones like you have above. Sadly I was unable to grab a musician. Hopefully in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my Imperial Guard getting a regular beating from Eldar back at High School. My opponent never painted them so I'm looking forward to it will be an interesting prospect to paint my one time foes!

      Delete