Monday 11 January 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 17: Sci-Fi!

 Hi!

I've been getting lots of fantastic advice following yesterday's post about the temptation of Oldhammer and I've decided to act on it in a somewhat tangential way.

I've got a load of random sci-fi stuff lying in my lead and plastic pile so I've had a bit of a sort through and have rummaged out a handful of figures to get going with and hope to paint them in a somewhat Oldhammer sort of style. 

I plan on doing what I've been doing with my fantasy and Rusty Robots stuff, namely paint whatever I fancy and if I manage to paint a complete army, warband, unit or regiment, all the better! At this point, I think its important to keep ensuring that painting is enjoyable and helping me cope with being furloughed and not able to go anywhere during the lockdown rather than trying to force myself to to do a set force.



I've currently got a trio of plastic figures that I've started with and will see how I get on with them before moving onto some other random gubbins and will keep painting and sculpting and see what I can get done in the time I've found myself with.

I've also uncovered an old resin piece that I've had in my collection for at least twenty years now and have rebased and painted it (more on that tomorrow once the base is finished!) Following said advice, I also hope to build some suitably retro scenery and see if I can't get a game or two played too!

I'm also putting together a Rulebook Review for Vor: The Maelstrom, the old FASA game that came out at around the same time as Void 1.1 and will post that up too over the coming days. I also hope to waffle a bit about how to combine settings, forces and interesting elements from other settings into my own, reimagined hybrid.

In the meantime, thanks for all the advice folks and All the best!

4 comments:

  1. This guy looks cool. I like the yellow coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      He's a VOR the Maelstrom Union Trooper sculpted by Kev Adams I believe.

      Delete
  2. Apparently I missed this whole range while I was broke in college! I like some of the range so much (Kev Adams models in particular) that I already ordered a few. Much cheaper than current prices on oldhammer stuff. Plus with Stargrave on the horizon I'll be needed some more scifi stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic game too! The Growlers are brilliant beasties and the Pharon are rather a great concept but the miniatures range is a bit more limited than I'd like.

      Delete