Monday 22 August 2022

A Trio of Adventurers

 Hi!

I've finally got round to getting my current adventurers illustrated, despite the campaign having been going for about three weeks now!


Fael is a northern barbarian who was exiled for her ability to summon elementals, something the tribal druids greatly disapproved of. She has since moved south where she has been inhabiting the Whispering Arch, a ruin that lies deep in the ancient forest that lies to the north and east of the Axeblade mountains.


Modwen the goat. Modwen is Fael's companion who followed her into exile and is usually the first into the fray, bowling over foes with his mighty horns. 

Arud is the latest addition to the party and is a golem, an artificial being who Fael encountered outside the Dwarven settlement of Crucible. He's desperately trying to track down his master but his cortex has been badly damaged so he has very little in the way of memory.

I'm really enjoying playing out the campaign as the trio move further into the wild regions of Aeroth and it's been great fun to see how they develop using Brutal Quest as the basis for their encounters as well as my trusty story cubes to move things forward. 

Fael is proving to be an outstanding ranger type of character who has repeatedly spotted potentially hazardous situations as well as a surprisingly decent summoner. Modwen is turning into a bit of a beast in close combat but has been seriously wounded in an encounter with an Elven Golem and the trio is currently hiding out in a cave to avoid a search party that an as yet unknown antagonist has sent out from the Iron Spire to hunt them down.

Arud is proving to be a bit of a fire magnet having been reduced to his last few points of damage in pretty much every encounter he has but he still keeps on going (he's been set on fire twice, pincered by giant insects and mauled by a mutant bear as well as speared by a crazed Goblin!)

Hopefully I'll get chance to get some figures sculpted for the three in the not too distant future as I suspect they're going to be making regular appearances in my games going forward but it may be a while as I've potentially got a house move coming up in the next few months as I'm moving from Dundee to Perth Waterstones to take on a new role which is exciting but also mildly terrifying when it comes to the prospect of packing up all our tat and finding a new home for the first time in six years.

We shall see how things go and hopefully a move will be relatively straight forward and I'll be able to get back to proper gaming soon but in the short term I suspect most of my hobby related content will be pen and paper only as everything is going to be packed up and put into storage until we can sell our place and find somewhere new.

In the meantime, I will keep posting as regularly as I can and All the best!

Richard

6 comments:

  1. More great artwork! Love how these adventures are turning out. Really makes me want to do my own solo campaign painting the required minis as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      Its been really fun to see them develop into more and more powerful characters as the campaign has continued!

      Delete
  2. Dammit, those are fantastic!! You certainly have an eye for character design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much character in these illustrations! Love em!

    I need to source some of those "story cubes" as it seems the only gaming I have in my future (Once the weather changes from being a flippin oven to a more reasonable temperate affair) will be solo gaming in the barn.

    Good luck with the eventual move. Perth isn't too far from Dundee, so hopefully not too much of a change for ya. I recall living in Aberdeen when I was young - cold, grey and windy. And cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Story cubes have been really handy in developing all sorts of bits and bobs for my games and can be found pretty cheaply via ebay.

      Solo gaming seems to be getting more and more interest since the lockdowns happened and isn't getting as much of the daft Billy No Mates comments as more folks seem to realise that not everyone has nearby gaming communities and solo gaming can be really good fun too!

      The move is hitting a bit of a snag as we're not sure that the Perth job is going to be a secondment for six months before back to Dundee or if it's permanent so until I can find out there's no house move happening which is a bit of a pain!

      Delete