Monday 22 June 2020

Lockdown Day 91: Star Wars and Lego!

Hi!

I've just watched the Mandalorian on Disney Plus and really enjoyed all the Star Wars shenanigans and it got me to thinking about some of the options for Star Wars gaming out there.


I've also been devouring Star Wars Rebels, the animated tv series that came out a while back and I've found it to be a really rather good series too and I'm really enjoying finding out more of the Star Wars universe than the original movies.


It's got me to thinking about some Star Wars themed gaming as it's got lots of great elements, evil empires, brave rebels, small skirmishes and massive space battles.

I remember the bendy pre painted figures of years gone by and regret not picking up a few to repaint before they became scarce. Moving onto a more modern range, there's the assorted Fantasy Flight games, Imperial Assault, X-Wing and Star Wars Legion.


 
Now, each are supposed to be really good but there's the issue of Fantasy Flight producing Imperial Assault and Legion in two slightly different scales and the amount of tokens, cards and whatnot that they require. Coupled with the cost of figures, I'm not sure that I would be up for the investment required and the fact that Fantasy Flight seems to have been on somewhat shaky ground of late having laid off a load of staff, even before the Lockdown.

I then got to thinking about some of the cheap Lego sets that I've seen from time to time. What would the technicalities of putting on a game using my own rules and using teeny tiny Lego kits and custom creations?


I know there's Brick Wars and Mobile Frame Zero which both are based on using Lego so it's not beyond the realm of possibility to get a good game from using them. It's just a question of playing around with a different type of toy soldier than I usually do!


Looking online, there's some really amazing custom creations to be found for pretty much every kind of mech, vehicle or starship imaginable!


I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has tried the Fantasy Flight games and if they are any good or indeed if folks are using Lego in their gaming!

I've actually got some lego lying around so I think I'll have a play around with it to see what I can come up with so watch this space.

In the meantime, All the best and apologies for once again wandering off on a tangent!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I've used plenty of LEGO in my games, from minifigs to my own creations. My first Frostgrave project was all LEGO, I've used them for roleplaying games, for skirmish games and I've build LEGO mechs for Battletech too.
    MF0 is a brilliant game I've playing for years, both the Space version and the one with the mechs.

    Not so much of a Star Wars fan myself, while it's not bad sci-fi I just never understood the hype. There are way better sci-fi settings out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had quite a bit of fun creating small ships and mechs using the stuff today and hope to post a quick update this evening!

      Delete
    2. Lol I love Star Wars, but hard sci-fi it ain't XD. It's space opera at best, and "space cheese" for the less impressed...

      Delete
  2. The Lego Star Wars Advent calendars usually have some interesting micro scale creations, which might be worth a look at for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete