Thursday 2 June 2022

Self Isolation Project Part 1: Havok Repaint and Repair

 Hi!

Well I suppose it would happen eventually as I seem to have caught Covid so am having to spend a few days self isolating and while I'm feeling pretty grotty, I do want to do something useful with this enforced break and looking at my box of Havok gubbins that just arrived, I figure it might be a fun mini project to have a bash until I get the all clear.

First up, lets have a look at the figures I'll be working on. The boxed set came with two small skirmish forces, the Nexus Rebellion and the Karn Empire. 

Nexus Rebels

The Nexus rebels consist of three of the 47th Line, described as perhaps the most famous regiment in the Nexus Rebellion, the 47th Line is always to be found in the vanguard, their motto and warcry 'Die Hard! Die Hard!'. 

The 47th Line is backed up by a Hundred Battle Form and Hundred Warrior. During the first centuries of conflict with the Karn the Nexus managed to capture a small number of Battle Forms, One hundred were eventually amassed into a single formation that has since become known as 'The Hundred'. The Warriors of The Hundred are chosen not only for their skill and courage but also their genetic makeup. Only those suitable may join with and fight alongside, one of the precious Battle Forms of The Hundred.

Next up there's the evil Karn Empire!

Karn Empire

The Karn force consists of a trio of Darkest Suns. Even those hardened to a lifetime of conflict know and fear the Darkest Suns. They are the Emperor's chosen. Theirs is an endless war of conquest in the name of their father.

Backing them up is a Form Warrior and Battle Form. The Battle Forms of Karn are each held in honour by a single family. The Form Warrior fights along side his Battle Form and are supreme warriors, revered by Nexus and Karn alike. For countless generations the Battle Forms have won the most desperate of battles for the Karn Empire. The Battle Form is a living machine constructed of super hard material that makes them virtually indestructible. 

So we have two small rival warbands to paint up, what else comes in the box?


The box set also contains a bunch of Havok dice, something I'm really pleased to get my hands on more of, a small full colour rulebook, measuring rulers, unit cards and some really poor scenery.


The set I got also contained two extra Karn figures, the first being a Karn Trooper while the second is a Klan Warrior. If I get the chance I'll have a bash at painting them too but they're not the priority for this project!


Lastly, there's the scenery. I remember having this back in the day and even then thinking it was pretty poor quality. It's pretty much just random pieces thrown together without much, if any forethought but I will see if I can repair it and put it to use as well so I can play a game or two to see what its like.

As I mentioned in my last post, the figures are sculpted by Bob Naismith and are readily identifiable as his work which I love. Made from somewhat rubbery plastic the detail on the figures is surprisingly good and the hard plastic Battle Forms are actually fantastic and I'm rather excited to get started on the project and will update daily here so folks can see how I get on. 

I'm debating on keeping the bases the originals or replacing them with my more usual lipped bases but we shall see what I end up going for over the next day or two.

In the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon, but in the meantime I'm glad you found a project to take your mind off the Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been an experience but not awful and the Havok project has kept me extremely entertained and distracted from sitting feeling sorry for myself!

      I seem to be on the mend now too so thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete