Monday 3 January 2022

January Project: Rangers of Shadowdeep Part 1

 Hi!

I've managed to pick up a fairly cheap copy of the new edition of Rangers of Shadowdeep from Ebay and am planning on using January as a challenge month to get myself the gubbins to play the campaign included in the book.


I've settled on using my own sculpts as I have loads of stuff to use for my Ranger and companions and assorted NPC's as well as Giant Spiders and Rats.



On top of the vermin, the scenario also calls for a minimum of six zombies so I've spent my last couple of days off sculpting some!

I need to sculpt a couple more to give me some flex in game and in the post apocalyptic Aeroth, they will be Children of the Worm, reanimated Revenants enslaved to the Great Devourer Worm, a gigantic bioengineered creature that inhabits the southern desert. It's worshippers give the gift of unlife to those desperate or unfortunate enough to fall into their clutches. By eating the flesh of the Worm, they become immune to disease and can withstand a terrific amount of punishment before being destroyed. Unfortunately the side effects can result in them devolving into a shambling zombielike creatures with only the bare minimum of intelligence!

Irksomely, I've run out of 20mm round bases so will need to pick up some more before I can get them painted but I'm going to crack on with getting my sculpting and will be adding a couple of Worm Cultists, a Worm Priest and a Blessed Hulk which will see use in both Brutal Quest and A Song of Blasters and several other games that I plan on playing during the course of the year! 

I'll be posting another update in a weeks time, hopefully with some painted figures or some built scenery but in the meantime, All the best!

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love what you are doing here! I have the rulebook, but haven't still managed to run a game :(
    I'd love to see what you are up to with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I'm still waiting on the rulebook arriving and no doubt it will arrive today when I'm out at work!

      I'm hoping to use the campaign to play some games and get some new figures sculpted and have got a couple of Worm Cultists half finished at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Hopefully I'll be able to get the first scenario played out within the next couple of weeks once I have the rules, bases and get the odds and ends that I need to paint painted!

      Delete
  3. Those zombies are really nice. I've been wondering what Rangers of Shadowdeep is like and seeing it in your style will be good. This looks promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've found myself inspired to crack on with sculpting but worryingly I'm starting to run low on Greenstuff again!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing them all completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed I'll have them finished within the next week or two and then onto a game!

      Delete
  5. I love seeing a lot of your sculpts together. The character of them is reinforced by the presence of others. Looking forward to seeing your game when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've really enjoyed making the shuffling zombies and have begun work on a couple of Worm Cultists. I do also have some adventurers and more Boar Company built and ready to paint but I'll get them finished as soon as I get chance!

      Delete
  6. Those worm cultists look great! Can't wait to see them finished! One of these day's I'll also try out Rangers. Looks like the kind of game I can get my D&D friends into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've got the first two cultists nearly ready for paint but I don't really need them in the first scenario so hopefully I'll get the six zombies finished soon!

      It is very much a tabletop game rpg hybrid so could be a great opportunity to GM for new players and handily it doesn't need much to play the first couple of scenarios.

      It really reminds me of the old Fighting Fantasy books but in tabletop form!

      Delete