Monday 31 May 2021

Dark Age Brutal Quest Project Log Part 3: Miniatures Arrive and Testing the Waters

 Hi!

I've got the delivery of my assorted gubbins for my Brutal Quest mini project set in an alternative Dark Ages but before I set to painting them I wanted to test the waters and see if I could paint something in a different style from my usual bright and cheery 90's way and something a bit more grim and grimy.

With that in mind, I noticed that the new Wargames Illustrated came with a sprue of Caesarian Legionnaires from Warlord Games and I grabbed it to use them as test pieces for my new project. 

Primed black then given successive drybrushes of grey and then white in as close to a zenithal style as I could get without spray paints (I fished my rattle cans out of my cupboard and discovered they'd dried up some time ago) and then painted in a quick and grimy fashion with quite a few washes of browns and rust.

I also changed my usual flesh tone, moving away from a healthy and rosy tan to a pallid bone with a brown wash. It worked out pretty nicely and despite repeated panics that I was making a big mess, I think they turned out ok and I now plan on painting up the remaining two to complete the set. I do want to do something a bit more interesting with the bases, be it add some scatter material or some fallen leaf litter but they look a tad bland with just a drybrush of brown and some static grass. 


Still I've now settled on a style that should work out pretty well for some Dark Age Mythological shenanigans and I plan on trying some different washes for the remaining Romans to see if I can get a more interesting finish that doesn't look quite so unhealthy...

I had originally ordered a sprue each of Victrix Saxons and Vikings and really am impressed with the quality of the figures and look forward to beginning on working on them. 


I'm really impressed with the combination of bits, dynamic sculpts and mixture of armoured and unarmoured figures and reckon I have enough to represent a couple of decent sized warbands which will be a good starting off position for the project.

I also accidentally ordered a set of Warlord Games Saxon Fyrd (UPDATE: They're actually Gripping Beast plastics!) at the same time and while the detail is not as crisp and the figures somewhat more simplistic, They're pretty cheap and will make decent low level Levy, ruffians or angry villagers.


My plan is to get the two test Roman figures out the way and then paint 3-4 Saxons and a similar number of Vikings which should allow me to get some games of Brutal Quest in before adding some more fantastical touches, be they monsters, ancient beings or some souped up humans and I will be posting battle reports of my progress as I make it so watch this space but until then, All the best!

10 comments:

  1. I could have never imagined that 'grimdark Romans' were a thing... but they definitely are! Pretty nice! Can't wait to see where you go with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      To be honest they were purely intended to see if I could paint a different way but now they're done, I'm quite keen to introduce them into regular games!

      Delete
  2. They’ve come out looking really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      In the Grim past of 40BC there is only War!

      Delete
  3. They look good. it's always a bit of a risk trying a new style but I think they've come out well. Of course, I always think Romans look best as undead, but that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I do plan on including some undead Romans at some point actually!

      Delete
  4. Great work! They really look like classic romans. Excited to see what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've got a few bits and bobs finished this week!

      Delete
  5. This project is really interesting!

    Btw, those aren't Warlord Games, they're Gripping Beast - their Dark Age Warriors - believe it or not, these are actually superior to the Warlord Games Saxons (which are formerly from Wargames Factory and generally suuuuuck! I got a few from a friend and they ended up as casualty markers...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've got a fair few odds and ends finished and need to flesh out the setting but I'm rather enjoying painting a grubbier and grimmer sort of style than usual.

      Thanks for the correction too! I've just finished painting the five of them and they're rather fun figures that are surprisingly detailed for such a low price!

      Delete