Saturday 23 April 2022

Still Alive and Personal Challenge Update

 Hi!

It's been a bit quiet here over the last month or so as I've been busy with all sorts of other things which has resulted in less hobby time than I'd like but I wanted to post a bit of an update on the state of Tales From Farpoint and some of my personal challenges that I've set myself!

First up, I've been beavering away drawing portraits for Planet 28 and have quite a stash of characters to work with and will be working on getting them all statted up for an upcoming campaign in the near future!

I have noticed that I need to source some generic low level goons and a few random encounter villains and NPC's but want to hang on for the moment as I am trying to put together the background to the campaign and am perusing my collection as well as the interwebs for suitable stuff but every time I think I've settled on something, a different idea comes to mind and I can't find the traction I need to settle on the figures I need to get and then sit and paint a small encounters worth of them.











I've also not been entirely idle with the 40k project that I've been waffling about for the last few months and have managed to pick up an incomplete 2nd edition boxed set for the princely sum of £2.99 which contained most of the ruins, books, templates and a smattering of other bits and bobs. I still need to replace my long lost 2nd edition rulebook and need to print out my own vehicle cards, wargear and whatnot but I am getting the classic cardboard ruins based up and looking a bit more presentable!

Once I've got them all done, I plan on posting up some pics but it's a bit slow going as the basing process isn't the most exciting thing to do but the finished pieces are looking a bit better than just loose stacks of card.

One project that I've not got any further with has been my Rangers of Shadowdeep SD scale stuff but I do hope to get back to it at some point once inspiration strikes again...

I've also got loads of other projects in various stages of advance but no doubt I'll flit back to them in the not too distant future as is my wont but I'm rather enjoying the sci-fi shenanigans at the moment and will be concentrating on that until something else strikes my fancy!

Hopefully I'll get back to a more regular update in the coming weeks but in the meantime, All the best!

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic artwork. I love the stylised look and the use of lighting. Just out of interest, do you do commissions?

    I've just been given a copy of the Mordheim rules and I'm very tempted to go into another Oldhammer project. Have you seen the Stargrave models, by the way? They might be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I do indeed take commissions and if you're interested, give me a shout with what you'd like and I'll see what I can do!

      Delete
    2. Mordheim is brilliant fun and I do wish that Frostgrave was more like it rather than wizard wars!

      The Stargrave range has indeed been tempting me as theres some really nice figures in it!

      Delete
  2. Your art is always welcome, I do love your personal style, never get tired of your illustrations, keep them coming, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      Sadly all this drawing has resulted in me not getting much painting done!

      Delete
  3. They're awesome. Really fun, vivid and characterful illustrations. Top work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks and apologies for the delay in replying (blogger was being rubbish!)

      I'm planning on doing some more in the not too distant future and plonking some extras over on Etsy if folks are interested.

      Delete
  4. I've been appreciating the flow of pictures/art on your Instagram. Do you base the drawing on models, or hunt for models of your drawings, or something else?

    At this rate you'll have all the art you need to make a nice looking ruleset if you ever write your own up.

    2nd Ed 40k was awesome when it came out. Fixed so much kludgey stuff from rt. We played a lot of games with the cardboard ruins...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks and apologies for the delay in replying!

      Its a bit of both to be honest, I have a very eclectic collection of figures and tend to paint what catches my fancy at any given moment and then create a character around it.

      I do hope to put together a bit of a fan supplement for the new Planet 28 giving a guide to the characters of Farpoint along with scenarios, stats and whatnot!

      I too played lots of 2nd edition at high school leading my lowly Imperial Guard footsloggers to endless defeat at the hands of my friend who had literally every figure for each force that was released and power gamed shamelessly with his unpainted (and often unconstructed) figures.

      Back then it was so good to actually get a game in I didn't mind too much but today I'd probably avoid such shenanigans!

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely fantastic collection of artwork! You may not have blogged much, but there's a lot here! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I tend to go through manic bursts of hobby stuff followed by spells where I either don't have the time or inclination to do anything and always worry I'm letting folks down!

      Delete
  6. So so loving these! Excited to see more.

    No painting of minis is forgiven if we are treated to art like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks and apologies for the delay in replying!

      I really need to get some more done and am thinking of offering a bit of a commission service for anyone who is interested in getting their characters rendered into inky messes.

      All the best!

      Delete