Thursday 7 April 2022

A Personal Challenge

 Hi!

I've been really busy with work and other assorted gubbins and with a sketchy back hobby time has been decidedly limited this last few weeks but I've been looking at the Old World Army Challenge and the Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition Army Challenge III with increasingly covetous eyes and am thinking that I may issue myself a bit of a challenge to do something that would probably run the course of this year, namely to collect and paint an old school themed 40k army.


What's this madness I hear you say, and I must admit that it does feel a bit silly as I am a confirmed solo gamer these days and have the attention span of a goldfish so flit from project to project almost constantly but there's been something really pleasing about watching the assorted wonderful armies slowly form over the months and it got me to thinking that I'd like to have a go myself.

As much as I'd love to join one of the established challenges, I am fully aware that I'd probably fall at the first hurdle and fail said challenge miserably as I have so many other bits and bobs on the go at once so in keeping with my solo gaming, I think I'm going to do a solo challenge for my own enjoyment and if it turns out, all the better.

Before I go mental though, I do want to set myself some parameters though as I am not wanting to 1, suffer a loss of hobby mojo, 2, spend a fortune and 3, end up with a pile of unpainted stuff that will sit for the next ten years in a box.

But how do I do proceed? Well I'm thinking I want to collect an army that looks and feels 1st/2nd edition but doesn't necessarily use period models as they're getting increasingly hard to get hold of and expensive and I hate the process of stripping the paint off old figures. Instead I plan on using whatever I have to hand, modern figures and ebay bargains and bodge the whole thing to see if it can be done and make to look the part. I'm also wanting to strictly manage and limit what I'm picking up and only getting more stuff once the current batch is completed and stashed in my display cabinet.


With this in mind, I will need to look through my old rulebooks to see what force I might choose to start with but I suspect it's not going to be a horde type of army like Orks, Tyranids or possibly even Imperial Guard but I may end up surprising even myself...


Would the completed army ever get used or is it more of a voyage of a madman? Only time will tell with the success of the challenge but I'm aiming to post up progress reports once a month showing what I've managed (or not!) to do.

In the meantime, All the best!

6 comments:

  1. Well, what you speak about is pure old school approach. Pick whatever you want, paint it for your own joy and nothing else matters. I'm already looking forward to this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this! I've been looking at my 2nd Ed Eldar book and feeling much nostalgia. There's something about those bright models fighting on those bowling-green battlefields...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching your fantastic work on the Eldar Harlequins with envy!

      I'm tempted to pick up a classic green game mat but I'm not sure I can cope with the classic goblin green bases!

      Delete
  3. Man! I had so much fun with 2nd edition. Vehicle cards, heroes that were bigger than life! I miss those days. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!

      I always felt like 2nd edition was more like an 80's action movie where the hero (or villain!) waded through enemy goons, slaying them in over the top style!

      Delete