Friday 15 July 2022

Brutal Quest as an RPG Wargame

 Hi!

Following on from my earlier post with all the papertech Goblins, I got to thinking about playing a bit of a mini quest using paper standees and using Brutal Quest as the basis for the rules.

After having a bit of a rummage, I got my copy of the rules, a small notebook, pens and whatnot but also got my assorted Rory's Story Cubes out and set about fiddling around with the rules themselves.


Nic handily has produced a bit of a mini supplement called Pump Those Numbers Up! which covers converting his rules from a D10 system to a D100 which I already use on Planet 28 and I also intend to use Hack and Slash! Experimental combat rules for Planet 28 to add some extra crunch to my games.

With the rules sorted, I decided to create a character and rolled up his stats randomly using the Brutal Quest character creation rules but instead of paying points, I rolled a D44 (or 2 D4's!) to see what I got. Once I'd completed this stage I gave myself 20 points to up different stats to round out the character a bit.

This will create a low level character who may be quite good at a couple of different things but not super powerful. 

I then looked at the stats for the as yet unnamed character I'd rolled up and turned to my copy of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for a bit of inspiration. Looking at the characters stats, I realised he was more suited to a warrior than say a ranger or scholar or thief so I rolled a D4 and ended up with a Dwarf and then the D100 and got Tunnel Fighter.

Looking at the profession in the rules, it says that he is equipped with a grappling hook and rope so I decided to give my newly created character the Climb trait for Brutal Quest (the Tunnel Fighter in Warhammer Roleplay has lots of other skills too but I figured they were already figured into his stats).


As you can see, the character isn't very agile, is pretty good in melee and can shoot but isn't overly aware of his surroundings and has the intelligence of a rock...

It was now time for me to crack out the Story Cubes to see if I could come up with a background for my Dwarven Tunnel Fighter, who I named Grune. 

By selecting a random trio of Story Cubes and rolling them to see what I got, I ended up with a Frog, a DNA Helix and a Lonely Tower. After a bit of head scratching I settled on Grune being an inhabitant of an isolated hold who had been mutated and now had warty skin.

Grune Warthide (Formerly Grune the Handsome)

Already I seem to have got a bit of personality for Grune so I rolled another trio of dice and got a House, a Book and the Lonely Tower again. This made me think that maybe Grune has left his home to seek a cure for his affliction and he sets off towards a nearby city to begin his search.

Another trio of dice resulted in a Rainstorm, a Skull and Crossbones and a Bodybuilder. Totally random stuff but here we have Grune seeking shelter from a rainstorm on the way from his hold to the city when he is beset by bandits and as I already have the Goblin paper standees, he ends up facing a bunch of lowly Gobbos. But the bodybuilder dice made me think that maybe there's also a bigger tougher foe along with them so I ended up having Grune facing not only a pair of Goblin footpads but also a Goblin leader!

My next step will be to play out the game of Brutal Quest to see how things go so watch this space as we follow the sorrowful tale of Grune!

I had considered setting the session in the Warhammer Old World but think I'll be going for my own setting of Aeroth as it's a good way to flesh out the setting and will allow me to play around with all manner of bits and bobs without getting bogged down in trawling for details on the Old World to keep things accurate.

I now have the paper standee for Grune sorted and am going to put together a couple more Goblins and we shall see how the encounter goes but in the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I'm a huge fan of randomly rolling in games, and just seeing where the dice land. I absolutely love that you worked all those bits into this character's portrait. Very interested to see where the story goes. (And the continuation of your artwork :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I'm somewhat distracted at the moment with Colostle and another Brutal Quest side campaign featuring Fael the exiled Barbarian but Grune should be making a bit of an appearance alongside the Boar Company in the not too distant future!

      Delete