Monday 31 July 2023

Planet 28 Standees

 Hi!

Here's some pics of my Planet 28 standees that I've been working on over the last few days.


I've been finding myself wanting to play lots of different forces and instead of spending ages collecting all the stuff and painting it, I've settled on making some standees so I can get some games in!


Unlike my other Planet 28 standees, I've made these guys double sided which really makes for a more effective style than the single sided ones I've used previously and its been a really fun experience to make lots of little warbands too.


While this isn't as satisfying as an actual miniature collection, it is making it more cost effective than me going and buying stuff and hoping to eventually get around to painting them and as the gaming budget is pretty much non existent, its keeping me entertained and allowing me to enjoy some much needed hobby time.


Thus far, I've settled on some PDF troops and vehicle crews who will be taking part in my Hathor campaign once I get chance to restart it.


I'm also thinking of making some Orky standees to allow me to add some old school style Boyz to menace my adventurers and to allow me to play some 2nd edition 40k on the cheap and if all goes well, I'll eventually have some figures for each of the classic 40k factions.

I'm not sure how I'll go around making vehicles but I'll keep experimenting with the 2d style to see what works and what doesn't.


I've made these approximately 35mm scale so if folks want to print out their own, they'll need to resize them slightly to 28mm scale.


I'm really pleased with how my female pilot trio turned out and suspect they'll be making quite a few appearances in the campaign, possibly getting some naval troops to back them up too.


We shall see if I can't get a game or two in over the course of the week and see how the standees work out in practice as I'm champing at the bit to get some gaming now that I've got a quick and easy way of adding together forces!


If folks would like to see any particular characters or forces, give me a shout and I'll see what I can come up with.


In the meantime, All the best!


8 comments:

  1. Very cool. Maybe do vehicles as a tray? Overhead image on the bottom, and small sides/rails with something....wheels,treads,whatever. Then you standees can go 'in' the vehicle by standing on the tray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to do some perusal of the interwebs to see how other folks do it but the other option would be to make some simple box style vehicles but the tray idea is actually brilliant!

      Delete
  2. These guys are full of character. One advantage with paper standees in a campaign setting is the speed at which you can update the characters to show injuries, new equipment etc by drawing a new figure. I found this a great boon in an ongoing sci-fi skirmish campaign.
    Hope you get a few games in
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've actually managed to play a very quick game with them and after a little bit of hesitation as they're not 'proper' miniatures, I soon got into the swing of it and had great fun!

      I'll try and post my initial thoughts in the next few days once I've had more of an opportunity to get some games in and dare I say it, add some more figures to the collection!

      Delete
    2. I had the same thoughts regarding them not being "proper miniatures" but the games were some of the most enjoyable I've had in recent years. I should add I was playing on a 2d map board so no awkward shuffling of scenery to get figure bases into gaps.
      Look forward to seeing your reports.

      All the best

      Delete
    3. Indeed!

      I'm actually swithering about putting together some Rogue Trader warbands in paper so I can get some games in quickly!

      Delete
  3. These are really cool. I like the stylised look of them. The colours work really well. Could you make vehicles like a box without a top, that you could stand the people in? I think there used to be easter egg boxes a bit like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've been thinking of making some really simple boxy vehicles to see how I get on, even if they're only used for background scenery.

      Delete