Thursday 14 February 2019

Ironclads, Infantry and Undead. Oh My!

Hi!

It's been a while since I updated the blog but I've been rather busy with work and hobby related stuff so without further ado, here's some pics of what I've been getting up to:

First up, here's the second brigade of my 2mm Orc Horde:

 Tiny Troops

I've had these chaps almost finished for a while but adding the flags and giving the base a bit of a polish seems to really make the stand of Yellowjackets pop.

I need to add a third brigade to finish my Orcish infantry for the time being but putting the bases together is rather tedious so I've been procrastinating!

 Orc Infantry supported by Necrosaur Wartowers

Saying that, I'm really liking how the army is slowly but surely coming together with the horde of infantry looking suitably tiny next to the towering warbeasts.

Here's a scale pic showing the original Leviathan Necrosaur Wartower in 28mm scale next to a 2mm one made by me:

Little and Large

The Old Leviathan range has some stunning pieces in it that ooze charm and I highly recommend folks give them a look. That being said, the moulds are starting to show their age a bit and there's a fair amount of excess resin to clean up with the range but the effort is worth it, especially if you're looking to add an old school beastie to your army!

Speaking of which, here's a pic of the beast in action alongside Necrodon cavalry which I painted last year:

 Fyreslayers take on a posse of warbeasts. What could go wrong?

Here's a pic of the Necrodon by itself. It's a great model, even if it does show the limitations to the one piece moulds that Scotia use:

Necrodon

I've also been busy working on some terrain suitable to 2mm gaming and have put together some patches of vegetation to give my infantry something to hide in:

 Shrubbery!

At long last, I've also got a few Land Ironclads for my Dwarves which I hope to be able to get some paint on over the course of the weekend:

Dwarf Ironclads

It's been a fascinating process working with plasticard rather than putty but I'm rather pleased with the results as they've turned out rather nicely and it's got me thinking about trying to make some larger scale ones next for 15mm!

Finally I've managed to finish another Zombie Musketeer for my Flintloque project:

Brains...

He was another great figure to paint and the warband as a whole is really starting to come together now and I'm looking forward to finishing the Undead and starting on the Elves!

Lastly, here's a pic of my Vampyre officer with a couple of underlings:

I've come to drink your blood!

It's fascinating how my projects are meandering along so well this year as I'm painting lots of gubbins and really enjoying the eclectic nature of what I'm working on at and given moment.

The only thing missing thus far is 15mm sci-fi but I hope to work on some bits and bobs soon so watch this space!

In the meantime, All the best!

9 comments:

  1. This tiny-scale stuff is so fu&king cute!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loving these ironclads.

    While I think you did a great job painting them, the original Leviathan models are quite bulky and have their flaws, like strange proportions and awkward poses. I like your sculpts better as they retain the overal feel of the model while getting rid of most of these drawbacks at the sale time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      The proportions and poses for the Leviathan range is a bit hit and miss to be honest with the Necrodon being a perfect example. It's well made but the shoulders are too high and it's too fat while it's hand up next to it's face makes it look like it's going OOOOH!

      It's my constant wish that someone would pick up the range and develop it into a 28mm skirmish or 15mm mass battle as the setting is brilliant and the game is pretty solid too. It's one of those lost classics that briefly appeared before vanishing almost without trace.

      Over the years I spent a lot of effort supporting it with background, new rules and stuff but very few people really went for it because the rules make it too mass battle while in 28mm it would make for a great skirmish!

      Sad times!

      Delete
    2. I remember it being played back in the day, but apart from me picking up one of these steam golems, the miniatures didn't do it for me. Could be because almost all my pocket money went into 40k back then.

      I like how you are fleshing out the world in your On the border blog.
      Have you thought about getting the IP yourself and kickstarting it?
      With the models you sculpt yourselves you would very likely be able to get it funded at the very least.
      Many classic games are getting a make-over or new release lately (Confrontation being the prime example), so why not Leviathan? Perhaps all the game needs are some new sculpts and ideas.

      Delete
    3. I have thought about it several times over the years but I believe the IP is very muddled with several people and companies holding some element of it.

      That's why I've been working at making Aeroth my own setting, changing it from the post apocalyptic fantasy of Leviathan and making it something a bit different.

      Sadly I just haven't had the time of late to put much effort into it but I do have tons of material that I really should develop further!

      All the best!

      Delete
  3. This fiery yellow on the warbeasts - WOW!

    ReplyDelete