Tuesday 8 January 2019

2mm Necrosaur Detachment

Hi!

Here's some pics of the first stuff I've painted for 2019 in the form of a trio of 2mm Necrosaurs:

 Necrosaur Detachment

Mounted on 40mm bases for use with Wessex Games Land Ironclads rules, these are possibly the smallest figures I've ever sculpted but I've really enjoyed the process and hope to have a full force by the end of the month!

 A Column of Necrosaurs on Maneuver

I had originally thought of using the typical fine sand for basing but I decided to slightly texture the bases with a bit of Das Clay and then painting them with a mixture of drybrushing and washes to give the effect of an arid desert. I may yet add small vegetation patches to finish them off but I'm rather keen on the effect.


After stumbling on this project while playing a game of Leviathan and thinking it would be easier to play on an epic sort of a scale, I seem to have really got my teeth into things and find myself planning on expanding the force into something a bit bigger...


Working in 2mm scale is proving to be an interesting process that allows be to explore sculpts, units and scenics that wouldn't usually be possible in larger scale. As an example, here's the 28mm scale Necrosaur that I painted a few years back:

Classic Necrosaur Wartower

I've got plans for adding some Aerial elements to my force and have been putting together some tiny scenery to give my games a bit more impressive a scale. What I am in need of at the moment though is infantry and cavalry models so I'm thinking of placing a small order with Irregular Miniatures to give me a selection of gubbins.

At present I'm not sure if I should pick up Ancient/Medieval or Horse and Musket as although I'm going for the fantasy styling, I've moved the action forward to the age of Black Powder so having large ranked up blocks of musket armed weapons would probably suit better than spears or bows...

Needless to say I'll update things when I get chance and hope to add some pics of the scenics I've been working on too and who knows, I may even get in a game or two in the next few months! 

In the meantime, All the best!

5 comments:

  1. Those are excellent, a bit harder to photograph than the bigger ones perhaps, but as a unit they do look great.
    My only gripe is that the bases seem to large for the sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I was using my phones camera and it can only do so much!

      As for the bases, I'd usually mount them on a round 25mm base but I'm using them for Land Ironclads which requires a 40mm base. I've since gone back and tweaked the bases a bit to give them a bit more interest so they're not looking lost!

      I've also finished the first Titanosaur and will post updated pics when I get chance!

      All the best!

      Delete
  2. I really like this project - I'd jump on it if they were cast. What's the sculpting process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've actually been approached by someone wanting to buy sculpts so watch this space. I need to refine my sculpting of tiny stuff first though as these are a little rough around the edges at the moment!

      Sculpting wise, I start by making a rough body shape out of sculpey then cook it. Then it's stuck to a base and legs and head are sculpted on. The howdahs are plasticard blocks with details added with greenstuff and the barrels of guns are also cut from lengths of greenstuff that I've rolled into thin sausages and let cure. I find them a bit more handy than using plastic rods.

      All the best!

      Delete