Wednesday 15 July 2015

Army Building the Slow Way

Hi!

Well I am back from a couple of the busiest days I've had in ages! In case you have been living under a rock, most of you will know that Harper Lee's controversial sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird, Go Set A Watchman was released yesterday and it's been utterly mental in a good way for those of us in the book trade. But enough shop talk and onto the miniatures!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am slowly (albeit almost glacially) painting my way through a bunch of Dwarves, mostly from Mantic Games plastic range. It's not exactly a fun experience as some of the detail is a bit soft but I must admit that the style is kind of growing on me.

Dwarves

The plan is to base them in units of twelve ala AZAZEL'S BITZ BOX (an excellent blog that is well worth a peruse!) so I can use them for Warhammer, Kings of War or any number of skirmish type games. Handily the front rank, including dead Dwarf is now finished and I can get on with bulking out the unit a tad as I have enough of the little chaps to make two units of twelve warriors and a unit of eight Thunderers which is enough to get me started.

 Dead Dwarf

I have no doubt it would be much quicker to batch paint them in groups of five or six but I couldn't bare the soul crushing tedium of the process. I am more than happy to spend a bit of time over each of them and slowly paint up one or two a week and eventually discover a full force!

The hero miniature is from the Grendel Leviathan range and is fantastic fun, if a bit too big for most Dwarf ranges. I have a few more on the paint table waiting to be primed and several more having been converted to having more impressive beards.

Hopefully, the next update will have a more complete regiment and the bases will be getting a bit of static grass and snow effect finish to make them a bit more interesting. I plan on making a force from the Crown of the World, a bleak and cold region to the far north of Aeroth that bounds the Arctic Tundra and will be commanded by a unit of Frost Giants.

For now though, I am off to finish some sculpting!

All the best!


1 comment:

  1. Great choice of colour palette and attention to detail, the shields look freehand, really nice job.
    It will be totally unique to see a dwarf army with a giant.

    ReplyDelete