Sunday 23 February 2014

Bloodaxes!

Hi!

I must admit my painting time has been almost non existent this week but I have managed to churn out a couple of Bloodaxe Orks!

Orks!

The Ork on the left is a Mantic Marauder from Deathzone and the one on the right is a classic Rogue Trader figure. Although theres a fair difference in height, they do look quite good together and I must admit I am quite proud of the camo pattern that they have. Its suitably sneaky but garish enough to be Orky and I went for a bit of a homage to the original artwork with the shotgun of the Mantic Ork with its non too subtle warning stipes.

As previously mentioned, the Mantic Ork took about 3-4 hours to paint while the classic Citadel one took about half that. I hope to get another few of the warband done in the next few days but I have set myself the challenge of painting up one of the heavily armed Marauders too to break up the monotony.

In my version of the Warhammer 40k universe, the Bloodaxes are hired and trained by the Imperium as local troops, much like the colonial Askari. Once I have a few more painted up I will see about adding on an Imperial advisor or commanding officer to lead the locals.

When the Bloodaxes are out of the way, I hope to get my Catachan squad sorted out. I have stripped a few of my old paint schemes from a few years back as I wasn't too happy with them and will be using them as a local Guard regiment based on the test piece I produced:

Catachan Guardsman

Unlike the traditional view of the Imperium, my version also boasts a somewhat higher level of tech so they will be accompanied by a battle droid with its own controller and mechanic to keep it running in the sweltering jungle or parched deserts of Farpoint.

After that I have vague plans for either a cult or rebel faction to fight against the Imperial Governor and the faceless minions of the Empire.  I also want to represent a detachment of Space Marines too as they are an iconic part of the 40k setting and I would love to have a bash at painting up some. I suspect I will be either going for some cheap mid 90's metals or more modern plastics to represent them rather than the fantastic old Beaky plastic and metal Rogue Trader era stuff..

All the best`!

1 comment:

  1. Those are great orks/orx.

    I think that I can see why the more modern figure took a little longer to paint when I see the two models side by side: kneepads, backpack and the like would add up time wise, but that guy also has hazard stripes, which definitely add a lot of labour. He is also probably has about 50% more surface area than the old RT guy.

    The colour scheme that you are using is quite labour intensive and complex too (camo, hazard stripes), which all adds up time wise. It shows though, those figures look great.

    I have painted a few orks since Xmas, including the shotgunner shown and three other Deadzone marauders, including two of thee heavily armoured Ripper suits that you mention. Those models should look great in the scheme that you have chosen.

    Im looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete