Wednesday 17 April 2024

Not Dead!

 Hi!

Well it's been a bit longer than I'd like between updates but we've still got issues with ongoing, if now infrequent floods coming from our upstairs neighbour and an awful lot of stuff to do at work has resulted in possibly my biggest hobby slump in years.

I've tried the usual approach of stopping my current project and trying something completely different which resulted in a total stoppage of interest in hobby shenanigans which is a bit rubbish to say the least.

Fortunately I have a very amazing and understanding wife and she got me to go out for a bit of a drive and walking session on my last couple of days off to get some fresh air and indeed much needed relaxation which has given me a bit of perspective and time to refocus.



While I've found work incredibly rewarding, I seem to have completely given up on any hobby time, with what spare time I've had been focused on stressing about our kitchen being ruined or watching the odd Youtube video and even my usual fallback of reading hadn't been enough to get me out of my funk.

Now I must say, I do not think I've been depressed during all this, just a bit frazzled and somewhat burnt out from doing too much and the whole flooding nonsense, not to mention the rather daft worry about updating my blog on the regular basis with a project, Leviathan, that I just wasn't ready for.


With this in mind, I'm going to be stepping back from the Leviathan project just now. It's been my obsession for 20 odd years now and it will wait for another for the sake of my sanity.

An Oaf in the woods

I'm also going to take a wee break from blogging to catch up with my reading and have been blasting my way through the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison and plan on revisiting a host of other titles and authors that I read many moons ago as I feel its really important to reconnect with the imagination that I seem to have somewhat lost sight of in the modern world.


This doesn't mean I'm giving up my blog, far from it! I've found my re-reading of the Stainless Steel Rat books has got me remembering what fun I had with my old 15mm project/campaign log featuring the exploits of a certain interstellar crook, one Slippery Jim di Griz! 

Slippery Jim and Galactic peacekeepers

With this in mind, I've already had a rummage through my unpainted lead-pile for a handful of suitable figures and have got them cleaned, based and primed for some paint on my next morning off. Sadly I'd deleted the old Special Corps blog which housed the project when I started Tales From Farpoint but as the pictures were decidedly poor quality, I figure its not too much of a loss and I'll see if I can re-do it and start afresh as I still have all the posts saved somewhere!

This is a decidedly small project that I figure I can potter away with to see if I can't rejuvenate my rather battered hobby spirit and if it succeeds, Huzzah!

I've also got another mini project that is slowly taking form of a more fantasy nature but this seems to be really scratching the itch I didn't realise I had.

Now I've been blathering on for long enough so I'll call it a night but I wanted to say thankyou to everyone who has followed my gaming adventures and I'll post again when I've got the chance along with a progress report and hopefully some finished figures too!

In the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about the Stainless Steel Rat. I had forgotten how much fun that was. I will add them to the reading list!
    I hope the flooding issue gets sorted out. It must be a very frustrating problem where you need to rely on other people to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    we recently started following your blog, attracted by your long-standing interest in Leviathan. We understand well the difficulty of reconciling the hobby with everything that real life throws at us - we too are returning from a long break in our blog...
    We will patiently await the developments of your Leviathan project and will watch with interest what you will post in the future. In the meantime enjoy your nature walks (btw, where are the woods in the pictures?)

    ReplyDelete