Monday 24 October 2022

Birthday Gubbins!

 Huzzah!

I turned 43 this year and I've been gifted some awesome bits and bobs and now just need to find the time to actually read them!

First up, there's two solo skirmish wargame/rpg hybrids from Modiphius in the form of Five Parsecs From Home and Five Leagues From the Borderland. I've actually got the first edition of Five Parsecs but haven't really used it but stumbled across some videos of battle reports on Youtube and liked what I saw and the fantasy edition looks pretty cool too!


Essentially the two games are based around the exploits of a small group of adventurers which take on jobs, quests and fight an assortment of random encounters whilst gaining experience and I'm really keen to give the rules a try as it looks like just the sort of game I'm interested in playing.

Next up, there's Table Fables II and Arcane Artefacts and Curious Curios!


I've been a fan of Table Fables for a while as its a wonderful resource for creating all sorts of random goodies and the newest volumes look like they'll be getting regular use in my solo rpg sessions too (once I have some spare time to do anything with them!)

Finally there's the Ultimate RPG Character Backstory Guide that my wife picked up for me. 


I must admit that I was initially unsure what I'd do with it but its been a really fascinating and entertaining read which has given me some good ideas for a mini campaign I'm hoping to find some time to put together.

Combined with my other bits and bobs, I seem to be compiling quite a nice library of rulebooks and other handy resources for my own games and I'm really looking forward to getting myself sorted out to start a project but I suspect its going to be a while before I get the opportunity as work has been super busy and the commute has resulted in me being knackered when I get home but hopefully once things settle down, I'll get on with putting it together.

I'm hoping that all this awesome reading material will result in inspiration and some painted miniatures and battle reports once I digest it all!

In the meantime, All the best!

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Nice loot drops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! Sorry about the delay in replying!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Some cool stuff. I picked up 5P a few months ago. Hopefully I'll get around to some games of it this winter! I want to roll a random crew and model them from my growing pile of plastic parts. (Mostly Northstar and Wargames Atlantic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I've actually picked up some random sprues and have bodged some together for some Planet 28 but have been so busy over the last few months that my blogging has kind of fallen by the wayside!

      Delete
  3. Damn you! I've been after the 5pfh book for some tine now... but I always jump from project to project 😔 I'm late buddy but hope you had a Happy Birthday! Enjoy the books you bast...🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      To be honest I jump from project to project as I've got the attention span of a goldfish but really hope to do more than read the book and watch youtube videos of other folks campaigns this year!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! Is Five Leagues a fantasy version of Five Parsecs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      It is indeed but from what I've read, its a bit more complex so I suspect I'll be starting with a Five Parsecs mini campaign first!

      Delete