Tuesday 7 January 2020

The Siren Call of Old Games

Hi!

I've spent most of this week painting my way through some Wood Wodes in 15mm scale but I've been finding myself drawn back to an old project, namely Leviathan.


Approximately once a year I get to wailing and gnashing my teeth about the game which has obsessed me down the years but that I have only played a handful of times and even then I've been reduced to using cardboard counters for the most part as I don't have the space for the suggested 8'x4' board or indeed the 28mm scale figures required.

Titanosaur

Looking back through my blog, there's a constant train of posts where Leviathan is mentioned, referenced and projects started and then stalled but why does this one game which I never played when it was originally released still attract me so much? Why after repeated failures over the last ten or so years do I still look at it and go Hmm...?

 Lesser Goblin Wartower

Is it the rules, the setting, the chunky resin figures or something about reclaiming my youth (I originally picked up the rulebook in the mid 90's whilst at high school) Whatever the reason, I cannot seem to shake the attraction to the game and over the last few years have even managed to play the odd game or so but I never seem to be able to fully succeed with the thing or indeed finally shake my hankering after it.

My previous post listed a few of my successes from last year hobbywise and listed a few of the games that I had been pondering trying my hand at this year and it has got me to thinking about how best to combine this all into some sort of semi coherent plan rather than merely wishlishting.

Necrosaur Wartower

With that in mind, I think I am going to approach the issue from a bit of a tangent. I have a hankering for some skirmish gaming in the world of Aeroth with it's post apocalyptic awesomeness but also the need to play out some of the mass battles I've always imagined with vast machines and titanic monsters fighting alongside hordes of infantry and cavalry.

15mm scale Skirmishes!

 6mm Armies!

SD Scale Boar Company

Now the second part is easy enough to do now I have been working on my 2mm stuff and I figure I should have a decent sized army put together for all four of the original races by the end of the year but the skirmishes are a different manner.

As I see it, I have three options, 1) Buy 28mm stuff and use it to represent disperate warbands of survivors, 2) Use 15mm scale to do much the same and 3) Sculpt my own SD scale stuff.

15mm scale Warbeast

We shall see how I get on but the idea has come to me to use the Aeroth setting as the backdrop for trying out rules from several different games. For example I could run a campaign in one of the ruined megacities of the pre Death Elven civilisation using Mordheim rules and sculpt my own small warbands to duke it out. Similarly, Crucible and Chronopia have great, thematic forces that would make interesting additions to Aeroth so there's the option of mashing several elements together into one mega madness project...

We shall have to see how things progress but I hope it's going to be a year full of hobby shenanigans!

In the meantime, All the best!

10 comments:

  1. The Leviathan range sure had some nice figures ... especially the big warbeasts of all sorts and types. I also still have a couple of those in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather fab aren't they! I may find myself painting some more of them in the coming year!

      Delete
  2. That's an exciting tangent, and anything involving you sculpting in your signature comic style will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see what I can do!

      I've got a few bits and bobs to finish off first and then I'm going to make a start on some new skirmish warbands, quite possibly in SD scale!

      Delete
  3. I still have parts of this rulebook and some of the resin models, like the Dwarf tank. I may do a video on it on my Youtube channel The Solowargaming Show so stay tuned. Thanks for the flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you wanted to convince anyone to play Leviathan with you, you definitely picked the right models to show off :D.
    You even make me regret not picking the game up when I had the chance, a long time ago in my youth. Main reason is that the focus of our group lay almost completely on Game Workshop games and we only started playing other games when the 5th edition of 40k loomed on the horizon.

    I have to admit that it's exciting to hear you're probably going to start another sculpting project, whatvever scale it may be.
    Also, settings like Mordheim and Frostgrave are generic enough to translate the rules to almost any kind of setting. Though it does surprise me that you simple don't incorporate some of the mechanics in your already adjusted SoBaH ruleset. After all, you're already using your own SD models in skirmish games of your own creation, so why not just build on that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all know that 15mm is the ultimate scale, balancing enough details with modest size.

    I recently purchased the sci-fi adventurer set that you've sculpted from CP Models. That's a set of really fun characters, looking forward to putting some paint on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about Leviathan really but you're certainly making it look cool! I'd be interested to see how the skirmish bands go - I agree with Wouter that Frostgrave or Mordheim could be used for a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I plan on using Mordheim for some skirmishes in Aeroth, the world of Leviathan both with my SD and some more traditional 28mm stuff!

      Delete
  7. Damn, those warbeasts are sweet! I love that bright yellow.

    ReplyDelete