Wednesday 12 December 2018

Small Scale Shenanigans

Hi!

Sadly I've not managed to get any more games played in the last couple of days as work has been getting SO busy with the run up to Christmas that I've not had the energy to set up and play a game when I get home. I've not been entirely idle though as I've been going through my Epic collection!

With my tinkering with Song of Blasters, I've been pondering the possibilities of using it to play slightly larger games than the small skirmishes I've been posting about and while I think I can get the 15mm scale gubbins up to about 2nd edition 40k level forces before the board gets a bit packed, my Epic goodies could allow for something a little grander...

 Ultramarines strut their stuff

I've got an absolute ton of unpainted Epic stuff lying around in boxes in our library/man cave/spare room and if I aim to paint up forces of around the size of your average 8th edition 40k army, I think it would make for a decent project, especially as the change of scale would stop me going mental and suffer painting burnout with my ongoing 15mm stuff.

Khorne Renegades

Sadly the move of house and the interest of our cat Mab has resulted in my command stands needing new flags (especially after finding Mab carrying the bases through to the living room and proceeding to bap them around the floor!) Fortunately the large lipped bases seems to have done the trick in stopping the miniatures themselves from getting damaged.

I've thus far given them a good dusting with a soft brush as for whatever reason, 6mm figures seem to pick up more dust than larger stuff! My next job will be to repair and replace banners and finish flocking some of the bases before having a rummage through my boxes to see what I have and what my tiny armies could do with to make them more playable (just looking at my Eldar, I realise that they are woefully short of Aspect Warriors for example!)

Saim-Hann Craftworlders

Game wise, I think I will start the ball rolling with a couple of squads plus a vehicle per side to see how things go and will try to post some reports here.

I'm also keen to keep up the momentum with my 15mm 40k projects and plan on fleshing out the assorted forces there too as time allows, namely getting the second of my Sentinels painted and finish my Ultramarine squad who have sat primed and unloved for almost ten years.

That was like, Ultra!

Much like my Epic stuff, I have a lot of 15mm gubbins sat in boxes awaiting painting so I think I'll be spending a bit of time looking through my leadpile to see what assorted stuff I have that I fancy painting!

It's interesting that the amount of games played in the last few weeks has really got my interest in painting and sculpting going and I'm hoping that 2019 is going to be a bumper year for me in all things hobby related!

In the meantime, All the best!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks!

      The Eldar are about the only figures I prime with white paint these days as they just need that bright and clean finish that would look out of place with Imperial or Ork armies!

      Delete
  2. Me and a friend played a 2nd edition 'travel 40k' with the epic miniatures in the past. We even made our own tiny little templates. All the models were individually based too of course. This way it can be quite easy to scale things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tempted to try that out myself as I've seen some brilliant 6mm scale skirmishes but don't currently have the spare gubbins to give it a proper try!

      Delete