Friday 11 October 2013

Delays, Delays!

Greetings!

This morning I was all set to move into my new digs on Monday but its all change once again after I received a promotion that will see me needing to relocate to St Andrews in sunny Fife!

To make things even more exciting, I need to find somewhere in the next two weeks and get moved in by then!

Surprisingly all this is putting a decided cramp on my hobby time but I have high hopes of cracking on with some much needed miniature related goodness once the stress of the move is finally over!

In the meantime, I've been pondering the possibilities of creating an affordable series of DIY games mats that will allow me to get some games sorted out in locations other than the perfect bowling green surface with a few perfectly manicured trees strewn around!

I've seen some truly amazing stuff done with not much more than a sheet of canvas and assorted paint, glue and flock and want to do something similar. I have been pondering doing something for a while as I have never understood the obsession with the green or at best sandy coloured surfaces that pass for supposedly alien worlds or fantastic locations.

What if something like this was possible:












Yes I know theres a limit to what is practical or useful for wargaming but even some simplified scenics could really make for a fantastic game and bearing in mind all of the photos above are of earth, why not let your imagination run riot when it comes to sci fi or fantasy!

The initial plan after moving will be to create a series of different coloured surfaces to get me going, Lush Green, Red Erg, Frozen Tundra and Urban Sprawl. That should give me enough to be getting on with and cover most games to begin with and with a bit of experimenting, who knows whats possible!

But first the move!

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment