Monday 6 May 2013

Conquest of a New World Oldhammer Style

Hi!

Following on from my last post, I have decided to try and sort out what I am going to do over the coming months.

I had thought about sorting out a campaign based on the Warhammer world but just couldn't bring myself to do it as I've never been too big a fan of the setting itself. Instead I am going to use Crucible with an Oldhammer twist!

For folks who have followed this blog or my old Leviathan one, Crucible has been a favorite setting of mine for quite a while, ever since reading the rulebook back when it was first released and it perfect for theming a campaign around!


The setting itself is rather interesting and bears a bit of time being spent explaining it!

The lost continent of Crucible has been discovered by a ship of the Queens navy which was blown far off course and lost in an impenetrable mist. The human crew landed and found a mighty continent dotted with strange ruins containing artefacts of great power from an ancient and forgotten civilisation.

This wild and untamed land is inhabited by Orcs which inhabit the great savannah that lies in the centre of the continent and they are not surprisingly distrustful of the invaders but word spreads and the other races of Ashkelon send their own expeditions to explore its mysterious interior.

Essentially its a fantasy version of the conquest of the new world, something that GW began exploring back in the days of 2nd edition of Warhammer and then forgot all about for over a decade and even now its not really fully fleshed out. Crucible on the other hand has some great ideas and is just the setting to allow me to footle around with both 15mm and 28mm scale stuff as the forces will be rather small initially, representing exploration parties of all the races.

This brings me onto the setting of the project itself. I am going to use my attempts to clear my lead pile and make the most of the space I have to chronicle the adventures of the Duke of Summersby, a lord who has fallen out of favour with the Queen and has left his ancestral lands in the old world to settle the new one along with his family and followers.

This will allow me to set some realistic targets for what I want to do and give me some goals to work towards with the initial plan being to paint up Summersby and his immediate retainers this month using some Demonworld figures from Ral Partha Europe!



The initial aim is to get a couple of units of 10-12 sorted out along with Summersby himself and over the coming week or so I hope to add a bit more background and a campaign map too!

All the best!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, SCS! For a few years now I've been dreaming up my own WFB campaign setting...It's inspired largely by the Viking North Atlantic sagas, the American Frontier, and the Muscovite conquest of Siberia...I've placed it in the Border Princes, since I figure that the frontier setting will provide the most room to dream and grow...The central figure is The Baron (or Prinz) von Refn, who has been exiled from his ancestral home in the Empire/Bretonnian border country (sort of the Alsace/Lorraine of the Old World). Now he is trying to carve a new home out of the Howling Wilderness. Very much looking forward to reading about Lord Summersby's adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete