Wednesday 30 May 2012

Nostalgia!

Hi!

Well I have been rummaging my bots box and have been getting all nostalgic for 2nd edition Warhammer 40000.

It was the first wargame I properly played and its always held a bit of a special appeal to me despite it having some of the most notoriously bad figures in the original box set!

(anyone remember these guys?)

Its got me to thinking about old school gaming in general as the 'Golden Era' of Citadel predates 2nd editions release date. Despite that there were some really lovely figures released at the time and I am going to have a bash at collecting one or two of them as and when I get chance.

While older Citadel figures can go for truly silly money, quite often the 2nd edition figures sell for very reasonable prices. For example its possible to get hold of metal Imperial Guard or Eldar for next to nothing and theres some really lovely paintjobs dating from the era too.

I know the bright years of GWs paint schemes aren't to everyones taste but I have always loved them and will be trying to replicate them with my own figures!




Now I doubt I will ever collect enough to play a full game but will be taking the opportunity to really push my painting skills! 

I currently have about a dozen Catachan Jungle Fighters to work on which will keep me entertained for some time to come but I will also be keeping my eyes peeled for any bargains out there that I can pick up too.

I know it breaks my pledge not to buy more stuff but for some reason I have been bitten by the urge to paint 28mm scale figures from back when I was a youth! Therefore I am going to be setting aside the princely sum of £10 a month to indulge this new obsession and will also be trading figures when possible too.

I will post updates when possible with a progress report and will keep a tally on the blog here of how my efforts are going!

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment