Saturday 4 April 2020

Lockdown Day 12: Flintloque Season

Hi!

As promised, here's some pics for my Flintloque leadpile!

 Pile 'o' Napoleonique Lead

Whee! I have a bit more than expected once It's all laid out like this but I'm rather excited about the whole thing as I remember painting Sharpes Rifles back in the 90's on my parents farm and the Deadloque gubbins in my 6th year of high school whilst listening to cheese on the radio.

Sadly that collection is long gone but over the last year or so I've managed to replace the two core sets and made a start on painting the Deadloque undead last year and even got some scenics painted up too.

 Etienne's Survivors

My first task will be to finish the Undead types as I only have a single Zombie Musketeer to paint and then I'll need to get on with Etienne's Survivors, a disparate group of Ferach Elves who are trying to escape the retreat from Moskova during the grim winter of the Witchlands.

These chaps are rather characterful and the only real work I had to do to them was get the lance of the dismounted Lancer Rouge fixed with a piece of wire which replaces the rather weedy lead one he originally sported.

That will complete the initial batch of Witchland stuff and I hope to play out a game or two of Deadloque (or my own version of the rules!) before moving onto the Catalucian campaign.

To do this I need to paint up a section of Elven Ferach Voltigeurs and try and source the last of their number as the original box had 10 and I only have nine!

 Ferach Voltigeurs 

Then I can move onto the iconic Sharke's rifles!

Sharke's Rifles

Each of these guys literally ooze character, be it Harpy's fiddle sticking out of his pack or Hagswill's nearsighted expression.


I've decided to work on the Flintloque project to scratch the itch of 28mm scale fantasy and stop me going off the deep end and attempting to collect and paint up some sort of Warhammer Fantasy Battle sort of madness. I must admit that I am somewhat surprised by the sheer size of the miniatures who are easily 35mm scale but the chunky sculpts should make for a fun little project for me to work on over the coming weeks.

It's not all going to be Flintloque though as I still have some 6mm Goblins to finish and there's my Land Ironclads project ongoing so even if the lockdown continues till May, I'll have lots to keep me entertained and shockingly I seem to be managing to work up to having full and indeed playable armies, warbands, sections, landfleets or whatnot!

We shall have how we go and I also have a copy of Wargames Terrain & Buildings by Tony Harwood who has created some really characterful terrain for Flintloque and I'm keen to have a bash at making some scenic madness too!


I'll post my usual update tomorrow with whatever other gubbins I have finished and with any progress that I make with all things Flintloque but in the meantime, All the best!

3 comments:

  1. Flintlocks has grown on me somewhat - my FLGS used to be owned by one of the sculptors, a fact that I found out when I told him I wasn’t a fan of the cartoonish sculpting of the range! After a while of seeing the range there every time I visited, I decided I’d pop in and buy something to see how it painted up, but when I got to the shop there was a sign in the doorway saying that they’d shut for good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't Macs Models was it? That's where I picked up my original collection! I remember buying most of their remaining Flintloque stock when they reduced it to 50 or 75% off.

      The cartoony and chunky sculpts aren't everyone's cup of tea but they do have a certain charm to them that can be quite refreshing to paint, especially with all the super detailed stuff that is coming out these days!

      Delete
    2. It was my old LGS in Canterbury - I’m sure one day I’ll pick some up at a show and give them a go!

      Delete