Friday 17 January 2014

Slann Warband Part 1

Hi!

As the title says, for the Warband challenge, I have settled on collecting and painting up a Slann army! Madness you say as Slann miniatures are horrendously expensive collectors pieces that defeats the very purpose of the project!


Slann!

Not so fast though! After a great deal of pondering, I decided to cheat a bit and collect an Oldhammer army in 15mm scale! The very prospect of collecting and painting a 28mm scale army, even the 21 figures suggested, leaves me cold as I just don't think I would ever manage to get past the first few miniatures before becoming downhearted and giving up.

There is also method in my madness as there are now lots of really nice 15mm scale fantasy stuff out there that would allow a gamer on a budget or wanting to try out Oldhammer the option of collecting a force very cheaply (for example one can get 6-10 15mm scale figures for the same price as one of the old school metal Citadel ones.

A bit of googling later and I spotted that East Riding Miniatures stocks a range of Frog Folk:

East Riding Frog Folk

A little crudely sculpted perhaps but with a little bit of greenstuff, they should look the business. My order has been placed for a few packs and I now have the required 21 figures to get the warband started and even have a few left over to bulk out regiments as time allows! How much did it cost? £12 plus postage which works out at under 50p per figure when you take the extra figures into account. Not too bad for an army that would cost about £12 a figure if I was using Citadel via ebay.

I hope I am keeping to the spirit of the project which was after all to show that it is possible to have a fun game of Oldhammer without the expense! It will also be fun to represent a race that very few gamers will have seen as the Slann were such a limited release.

All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Slann army you say! Will be watching this one. 15mm is a very sensible scale to game in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever choice, I'd even gos as far as to say that with the whole lot of hobbysits we have, it would be even better if we managed to cover all races !

    Looking froward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete