Wednesday 6 January 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 12

 Hi!

As I mentioned in my previous posts, all this lockdown shenanigans have got me thinking about some sci-fi gubbins.

In an ideal world, I'd be tempted to go for Warzone as a suitable project that has a low model count and awesomely chunky and characterful figures but the figures are a bit difficult to get hold of these days and rather expensive to boot. They are still available from Prince August in Ireland but they're rather pricier than I'm willing to spend my limited funds on.

I've also found myself tempted, despite myself by the thought of some 2nd edition 40k even though I've posted that I wanted to move away from GW stuff. The sterling work of the Oldhammer Army Challenge and Dr the Viking's 2nd edition 40k community challenges got me really tempted to try my hand at putting together an army but thus far I've been strong and resisted the temptation!

Instead I got to thinking about Void 1.1 and Kryomek, which are both games I've had figures for in the past and in Void 1.1's case, I've actually played it a few times too.


Handily Void 1.1 seems to be getting a bit of love these days as Seb Games has started selling them under licence from Scotia Grendel and is starting to get more sculpts and even producing some supplemental stuff that is really heartening to see.

Syntha Troops

With this in mind, I've rummaged out my old copy of the rules and will be sitting down to give them a good read and review which I'll post here along with some random musings with regards to their usability for other games too.

If I can get our spare room/library/man cave sorted out and into order I'll also try out a few games to see how I get on and fix the rules in my mind. 

I'll also do a breakdown of each faction and my initial thoughts on how they operate on the table. Initially I suspect I'll be using counters to represent figures as it's a quick and easy way to get some cheap games in to get used to the rules and I'll slowly paint up some gubbins over the course of the next few months.

From initial perusal and from memory, Void 1.1 works really well in small scale skirmishes with 20-30 figures and a vehicle or two and I should be able to put a game together on my modest gaming board.

I'll do a rulebook review tomorrow along with my initial thoughts on the game so watch this space!

In the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. I also still have a lot of Kryomek and Warzone figures. I do remember buying Kryomek somewhere in 92 or 93, as an alternative for 40K. Never played it :-), although I did use the figures in many other games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kryomek range has some really nice sculpts in it but I do wish it had a bit more uniformity of style as the Nexus marines look a bit anorexic or at least wiry compared to the convict Cyclo troops.

      The Kryomek were fab though and still hold up well!

      Delete