Saturday 6 January 2018

Epic Planning

Hi!

Well I'm slowly painting through my Epic pile and it's got me to thinking about getting some games in with my tiny armies.

Now as previously mentioned, I have no space to play mega games of Epic with huge armies duking it out for control of entire worlds, but I do have enough space to play considerably smaller games featuring small forces on patrol with the odd big guy to mix things up a bit.

Ultra!

With this in mind, I have decided to try and complete my Ultramarines over the course of January. The plan is to make sure I have at least one of each of the many choices Space Marine Armies have, which lets face it, is quite a bit!

 Ultramarines versus Eldar Aspects and an Avatar

With this in mind, I have perused both my painted Epic collection and my bits boxes to see what I still need to put together and I think I have just about everything I need which is handy. I am also going to revisit the existing paint jobs on most of my Ultramarines as compared to my Renegades, it's a bit rough and ready.

Ultramarine Armour

I'm rather keen to also put together a more tropical region of Farpoint to allow for some classic 40k scenic shenanigans inspired by 2nd edition 40k so action will be taking place on New Viridia, a heavily forested world ruled by the Viridian Megacorporation as well as on Farpoint itself.

Jungle Combat!

 I'm also hoping to use the opportunity to jump back into 15mm scale skirmishing with the secret war between the Governor General's intelligence agents and Vosk's ruffians so expect to see some small covert actions to appear here in the next few months!

Armoured assault

While on the topic, I am also pondering sculpting up some assorted bits and bobs to represent some of the characters I have come up with for my background and to set the scene for further developments in the sector. We shall have to see what I can come up with as I suspect that work will once again be very busy this year but I am rather enjoying working through the stuff I have and have thus far managed to avoid the siren call of purchasing anything.

Ultramarines defend a remote outpost from Goff raiders.

Worry not about my other Epic forces though, as I have plans for them too this coming year but sadly will have to dip into my hobby funds to round them out as each of them needs a few bits and bobs to make them really playable.

The Governor General's House Troops

I have enough stuff to put together warbands for my Squats, Eldar, Renegades and at least two different Marine Legions but I find myself bereft of any lowly Imperial Guard so will need to put together a small order to furnish myself with both Regular Imperial troops, the Governor Generals House troops, Vosks mercenary scum and some generic rebels, not to mention Viridian troops as well.

I think that the doability of collecting and painting a decent little force in 6mm is one of the main attractions of the scale, plus there's something really pleasing about seeing a tiny horde come together on the table that I'm rather liking. Plus the price of such a project is relatively low with an entire platoon of infantry being available for under a fiver and a tank platoon for not much more!

It's looking like I am going to have a rather action packed year ahead and I just hope that I can continue the year on such a high note as I have started it!

Hopefully my next update will have some freshly painted Marines to showcase as well as a few other bits and bobs that I've been working on but in the meantime, All the best!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're working on something pretty . . . oh . . . never mind. This is going to be fun! Can't wait to see more of the Governor General's house troops in particular. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of making the Governor General's house troops VTOL transported with a few larger flyers to deploy Sentinels from too!

      I've been looking at the GZG future wars range for inspiration as well as Brigade Models and will have to see what goodies I can put together in the coming month!

      All the best!

      Delete