Friday 8 March 2013

Old School Revisited

Hi!

Well after much pondering I have decided to restart my Leviathan project!

Its my own personal mania, akin to many other gamers obsession with the likes of Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd and 3rd editions or Rogue Trader.

The Book That Started It All!

My first experience of the game was as a pimply youth visiting my local independent wargame store the late and much lamented Macs Models on the Royal Mile of Edinburgh. I vividly remember them having the artwork on display and selling copies of the rules and the outsized blister packs of resin monsters. I immediately bought the rulebook with my hard earned pocket money and spent the next few weeks avidly reading the rules and outstanding background (written by William King of Gotrek fame) and found myself strongly drawn to the idea of a post apocalyptic fantasy world with outsized monsters.

Sadly Macs Models closed down not long after and with it my access to the miniatures (this was pre access to internet for the Smith Clan) and my rulebook sat forgotten on a shelf as I went onto other projects and jobs.

Fast forward over a decade and in 2008 I went off to university after spending eight years in a bookshop and being out of the hobby pretty much the entire time. While I was packing for the move to Worcester I happened to pick up my copy of Leviathan and sat and re-read it and found it to be really rather good. Looking around the interwebs, I soon discovered that the game was still in production by Scotia Grendel who had an online store and I set about collecting all the bits and pieces I would need to play the game including some truly epic resin monsters such as this fellow:

Orc Titanosaur!

Sadly my means and small flat didn't allow for much space or money to collect a large force and after initial interest by Scotia in a new edition and two years of work by me, I gave up on the project and sold off most of my collection but here I am back to obsessing over a long forgotten ruleset and the range of decidedly unusual figures that went with it!
I am hoping to get back into the swing of things by collecting a small Dwarf force and see how I go! I will be posting my progress over on my old LEVIATHAN BLOG and I hope folks dont mind the rambling nonsense I will be posting on it!

I will be keeping this blog going with all my random sci-fi stuff (including some Rogue Trader Orks I hope to be able to crack on with soon too!)

UPDATE!

Hi!

I am also thinking of kicking off a bit of a nostalgic Kryomek mini project to top up the old school vibe!

Cover of pure awesomeness!  

All the best!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    That would be fantastic! I actually did a bit of work for them a couple of years back to get a new edition of the rules sorted out but it fizzled out sadly.

    What changes were made as the original rules were rather full of holes, despite the concepts being excellent there was just too much missing from it for my liking!

    They also had the Earthpower supplement on a computer somewhere but lost it all when the computer broke so all the magic rules, knights of the eternal light, children of the worm, siege combat, flyers and lots more were all lost which is a bit of a tragedy!

    I have got a list of new units, monsters, vehicles and what not that just needed stats so if you have anything from the playtesting or rule writing stage I'd love to know!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete