Thursday 25 June 2020

Lockdown Day 94: Lego Reinforcements

Hi!

It's been confirmed that I'm going to be back to work on Saturday so we're reaching the end of my Lockdown project log!

I've still got tomorrow to try and finish a few odds and ends but in the meantime, here's some Lego Mech reinforcements:

 Rebel Mech Lance

For the princely sum of just under £12.00 I have a complete lance of stompy Lego robots. I can see how folks get obsessed with the stuff as it's really good fun to play around with and I fondly remember spending many hours as a child creating all sorts of vehicles and worlds!

First up, I now have two Tortoise class walkers which are the core of my force. I've hept the design simple but with the possibilities of tweaking the design to give me some support or assault weapon mods.

 Tortoise class rebel walkers

Speaking of support options, here's the Fire Tortoise!

Fire Tortoise 

Rebel forces have found themselves outmatched by the more technically advanced Imperial designs and in an attempt to redress the balance have retrofitted several of their Tortoise class walkers with missile pods. These new additions to the rebel arsenal have been dubbed the Fire Tortoise, both for their additional firepower and their unfortunate tendency to explode spectacularly if their ammo cooks off.

Next up, a heavier design!


 War Spider class walker

Like the Tortoise, the War Spider is a revamped industrial mech design that the Rebels have drafted into service in a military function. Unlike the Tortoise, it has a respectable turn of speed and impressive firepower. Like other 'technical' class vehicles, it doesn't have the best armour and is prone to exploding at inopportune times but there is no shortage of volunteers to pilot the mech.

Armed with a forward mounted gatling gun, multiple rocket pods and a light pulse laser, it is more than a match for colonial light mechs but struggles with heavier machines.


The War Spider has a very low profile when it's main armament array is lowered which allows it to maneuver into position before unloading it's rocket pods and laser fire before bolting for fresh cover.

At present I only have the gubbins to make quad or non humanoid style biped mechs but I will keep my eye open for more cheap kits that will allow me to put together an Imperial lance to duke it out with the rebs!

Here's the kit I used. It costs £3.97 from Asda but I've since spotted them in Tesco for 3 for £10!


Finally, here's another quad mech, this time a heavier machine called the Guncrab:

Guncrab

Armed with a heavy laser and twin mortars, the Guncrab is a support class walker which us used to suppress opposing force with mortar fire or snipe with it's heavy gun. 

It's been great fun to work on some Lego mechs and I suspect it may involve me picking up the odd small kit from time to time to bulk out my forces!

Tomorrow will be the final post in my Lockdown project log but hopefully I'll be able to keep up the hobbying once I'm back at work, if at a somewhat slower rate of posts.

In the meantime, All the best!


3 comments:

  1. Nice tinkerin', mechs look really cool. Those kind of sets are exactly what we want to build some miniature robots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats I guess. Try to stay safe.

    Looks like I'll have a spare week before I'll be going back to work too. Hope they didn't told you today (just 2 days in advance!).

    Boss is keeping his trap shut but I know this'll be over next month. Which happens to be like next week.

    Love how they got in touch to make it clear this year we're going to have 2/3 of holidays but noone said a thing about coming back to work.

    Anyhow! It would be nice if you find time to update at least monthly 😊

    Never thought about these packs as a source for mobile Frame Zero kind of builds, thanks for sharing!

    The micro mech Lego scene is cool and the rules were free... I just never had the chance to test them but these walkers would look really next to some humanoid mechs.

    AFAIK ruleset came with basic frame instructions to build your mech over.

    ATB

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s been a real treat to have a steady stream of blog posts from you, we’ve been spoiled rotten!.... all good things must come to an end..... such a shame you couldn’t hit a century of lockdown post though. Good luck heading back to work, don’t neglect us eager punters for to long!...😜

    ReplyDelete