Friday 28 February 2020

6mm Skirmish!

Hi!

Last night I found myself hankering after some 6mm gaming so had a rummage through my collection and settled on Chaos versus Ultramarines!

As I didn't have much time to play, I settled on tiny forces with less than half a dozen stands a side to see how Song of Blasters works with small numbers and I fancied a skirmish.

 Ultramarines

The Ultramarines had a command squad, Rhino, two tactical bases and a Centurion.

 Khorne!

The Chaos side consisted of an aspiring champion, Rhino and two marine stands, one of which toted a missile launcher.

The game itself took place on a nameless agri world somewhere on the border and the scenario called for both sides to take control of two settlements in order to win.


The game started with both command units roaring forward in their Rhinos to take control of the larger hab block whilst the Ultramarine tactical squads cautiously approached the peasant quarters. The Khorne marines took command of the centre of the board on top of a hill where their missile launcher could hit pretty much anything they could see.


Turn two had the chaos troops gain the initiative and whilst the champion moved into heavy cover and took potshots at the command rhino, it's rival machine hurtled round the side of the settlement and fired on the Ultramarine command stand causing a wound and blast marker.



Shrugging off missile fire from the distant Khorne marines, the Ultramarine Centurion turned it's lascannon on the Chaos Rhino and succeeded in damaging it at long range.


Meanwhile the Khorne marines realising they weren't acting very in character by standing around shooting stuff, decided to charge down the hill and into the village and engage the Ultramarine tactical squads. The ensuing firefight and combat saw the Ultramarines driven back out of the village after losing a base to the rampaging berzerkers.


Seeing his followers spilling blood in glorious close combat, the Khorne champion bellowed a challenge and burst from the cover of the building and charged the Ultramarine command stand. Weathering a storm of fire, the two units exchanged blows eventually seeing the Imperial forces driven back out of the hab zone too leaving the battlefield under Khornate control.

Whee! What a fun little game! I'm quite pleased with how Song of Blasters is developing and I'm now eying up my unpainted Epic gubbins to see what I can add to my armies.

Hopefully I'll get chance to play another game or two in the coming days and have been putting together some game aids to help move things along a bit so watch this space!

All the best!

6 comments:

  1. I find it interesting to see that this scale works with such small numbers. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like an entertaining battle. I miss playing at epic scale, unfortunately I dumped/sold off all I had years ago. Here's to hoping it'll get a re-release someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome!! Great stuff mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice and gorgeous minis as always. Don't forget to tell us when those rules are done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments folks!

    I've been working on the rules quite a bit and it seems to be slowly coming together and works surprisingly well in different scales for different genres. I'll get a post up with the basic rules once I get chance so folks can have a go if they'd like!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous terrain and miniatures, I know I said it before but what you can do in these small scales is truly astonishing.

    ReplyDelete