Saturday 20 January 2024

A Spanner in the Works

 Hi!

I've been quietly working away on my 2024 Leviathan plans but have hit a bit of an issue, namely my car going in for a service which has resulted in £600+ of work needing done on it.

Where's a Technomancer when you need one!

Unsurprisingly the repairs are taking precedence so my hobby budget is taking a massive hit for the foreseeable future so I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board with my plans for a years worth of gaming and really concentrate on gaming on a shoestring.

Now this still leaves me with some interesting options but its going to involve a lot less painting miniatures than I'd foreseen, at least in the scale I'd planned.

As I see things, I've got several options left open to me, all of which I should be able to do pretty much for free:

Option 1: Give up. Write off the whole thing and give up. This is a rubbish option that I shall immediately discard as stupid and defeatist!

Option 2: Go back to my sci-fi stuff as I've got enough painted figures and terrain to keep me entertained for years to come, not to mention quite a decent stack of unpainted stuff that I can work on.

Nexus Rebellion troopers

This option is a fairly easy one to do but I really feel that 2024 is the year I need to get Leviathan out of my head and onto the table so we go onto the other options:

Option 3: Make it myself but small! Essentially go back to 2008ish and make some 15mm scale warbands myself from greenstuff.

The original Boar Company

Now this option actually has some possibilities as I can sculpt 15mm quite quickly and include some bigger monsters without too much effort so its feasible to make a warband in a week, paint it and get it ready to play in a similar amount of time. Combined with the smaller playing area and it may be a bit of a winner. My only issue with this is that there is a limited amount of detail I can feasibly get into these little guys and the visuals are important to me.

Option 4: SD shenanigans! As above but with my larger scale figures. I must admit that this is my preferred option as I love making these characterful little figures and while it's a bit more effort than the 15mm option, its a pleasure to work on them.

Option 5: Papercraft it! I've been experimenting with Papercraft miniatures for a couple of years now so I could make entire warbands in a week and play campaigns easily.


I must admit that this is quite a tempting option as its super cheap but I hark back to the importance of the visual and while I love making the paper standees, I can't help but feel that its cheating somewhat as they're not 'proper' miniatures.

I think I'm going to go ponder a bit and put together a few bits and bobs and see what I like the best but I refuse to let my hobby be derailed before we even reach the end of January.

I'll post my progress in the next couple of days and hopefully I'll have something more concrete to show in my next post.

In the meantime, All the best!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry to read of your car problems. Been through that a couple of times myself. For whatever it is worth, I'd go with option 4. In the long run, that is the one that would make me the happiest. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things happen unfortunately but it may end up being a bit of a blessing as I am much more likely to paint my own sculpts than I am buying new stuff which can be overwhelming and end up in a box...

      Delete
  2. Well, once we've taken Option 1 out of the table, anything you choose will be great! Sorry about the car, I've been there too and it's a total bummer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've got a few days off coming up and plan on sitting down and doing some sculpting!

      Delete