Sunday 23 May 2021

Dark Age Brutal Quest Project Part 2: Gathering the Troops and Further Reading

 Hi!

After finding myself drawn to putting together a bit of a mini project for Brutal Quest set in the Dark Ages I've been doing a bit of reading and perusing of the charity shops to see if I can find some more interesting source material to pull ideas from and found the interestingly titled Bloodfeud for a princely 50p!


It's proving to be a rather interesting book on a quick flick through and for such a paltry sum, I couldn't resist it! But all this reading and planning requires some miniatures to fight in blood feuds, quests and other skirmishes and after a bit of a ponder, I settled on picking up a sprue of Victrix Saxons and one of Vikings:



As Brutal Quest only requires a handful of figures, I figure that the single sprue of each will give me a decent selection of stuff to get started with, especially as the Victrix sprues come with a mixture of armoured and unarmoured figures and the reviews for them have been really positive too.

With a smidgen of a grounding in the history of the era, I am fairly sure that the historical purists will be outraged by the inaccuracies I plan on playing but the more I read, the more ideas I seem to be getting and while my version of the Dark Ages (or early medieval as is apparently what it should be called but doesn't sound so exciting) may well end up being a fictional setting similar to England in the 9th century but it's own thing with elements drawn from various sources and with a fair amount of imagination but its proving to be fun!

For visual inspiration, I've been perusing the rather wonderful art of Angus McBride who illustrated many of Osprey Publishings books over the years and its rather wonderful to boot. Combine a bit of Blanchitsu gribble, a pinch of muted paint tones and I will see what I can put together but in the meantime, All the best!

3 comments:

  1. Heck pick some of the taller bits of Doggerland as the Eastern Isles or something. And then you can go ham with the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!

      I actually had quite a bit of a setting sorted out for a post apocalyptic fantasy game with the fae returning in all their terrible glory and turning the UK back to a primordial state with the surviving humans having to adapt to the new world they found themselves in and I may use some of the elements of that with this project but tone it down a fair bit!

      Delete
    2. That also sounds pretty cool. I was debating on doing something similar once I get my early Tudor project going. Just to have a bit of a fantasy feel to it.
      Probably I'll use a fictional country or parish as my setting. With a some what anamorphous location.

      Delete