Friday 2 April 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log, Day 99: More Mercs and a Rock!

 Hi!

I've been working away at getting some scenery sorted for this evenings game as well as retouching another of my old model collection in the form of Dmitry the Merc and have had a go at bringing the much derided Geode from the Star Wars High Republic to life with his own miniature!

Dmitry and Rosario have possibly bitten off more than they can chew in their raid!

First up, there's Dmitry:


Dmitry is one of the many freelancers that inhabit the less salubrious bars of Freeport City. Originally hailing from the Romanov Freestate, a sub cluster that lies beyond the borders of Imperial Space. He has drifted from system to system in search of work and can be counted on as a stalwart companion but isn't known for sticking around too long between missions, usually content to book passage to some other far flung system, forever on the move.

Dmitry is originally a Four A miniature and I just needed to give him a bit of a touch up and rebase to get him ready for some Planet 28 gaming!

Next up, there's Geode:


Geode is a ships navigator and life of any party. Blessed with vast amounts of charisma and a can do attitude, he is currently based on Farpoint and has joined the Mercenary profession for a bit of excitement and to stretch his metaphysical legs planetside.

I've been hearing a lot of dislike towards the newest Star Wars addition as just how can a character that is a rock be interesting. This got me to thinking about having a bash at making my own version and seeing if a character that is essentially a slab of stone with a Thug Life pair of shades and a shotgun can be made to be interesting (looking back, I'd be tempted to add a tiny airhorn but that's for another day!)

He's made from a  piece of a Stonehenge model with greenstuff shades and the shotgun is from Void 1.1's Junkers plastics.

I don't think he's going to take part in tonights game alas but I do hope to add him to my slowly growing mercenary forces, and who knows, he may actually be brilliant.


I must admit that the character is now growing on me and I'm sorely tempted to build a warband based around him but in the meantime, All the best!

6 comments:

  1. Dmitry looks great, nice model and a great paint job. I really like the whole concept and execution of geode. It's just the best kind of thing to add to a collection.

    Now I'm curious to the Star Wars addition that caused you to create it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      Geode has proved to be quite controversial with the Star Wars fan community as he's literally a rock but is also the navigator for a spaceship called The Vessel and is reported to be a "real wild man" which is quite the achievement for a rock!

      Its been pointed out that he's a hideously boring addition to Star Wars and has resulted in all sorts of rage online. I got to thinking about trying to include him in games and see if he's boring to include in warbands or can be made interesting.

      Delete
    2. So I just looked this up, and he moves around the ship when no one is looking. It has a very weeping angel Doctor Who vibe to it. Very interesting I think.

      Your version is way better with he sunglasses though :)

      Delete
    3. He's a weird character to be honest and it feels like Disney are at a bit of a loss with what to do with Star Wars.

      Game wise though, I'm planning on making him super inspiring and awesome!

      Delete
  2. I had to look that up and check you weren't joking! I'm kind of puzzled as to how Geode does... well, anything really, but the Force/psychic powers go a long way. Anyhow, I like his shades.

    Dimitri looks very good. I really like the highlighting on them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments!

      I'd far prefer to have Polly Carveth as ships crew to be honest as she'd probably write something rude on Geode!

      Delete