Monday 5 April 2021

Lockdown 2.0 Project Log Day 102: Vermin!

 Hi!

Following on from my rambling post yesterday, I've tentatively settled on sculpting my own stuff for fantasy skirmishing and have finished the first dozen figures for today!

Rats

I'm keen to make a start by sculpting lots of small odds and ends that will make handy low level menaces for my adventurers and started out by sculpting a horde of tiny rats.

I was only going to make six of them but got kind of carried away and now have twelve, coincidentally the exact number I'd need for Warhammer Quest!

They're rather cartoony and stylised but who cares as they are going to be getting slaughtered in games so I don't think I need to worry too much about spending ages on making them absolutely perfect and using sculpey allowed me to churn out a good number with little effort.


I've got another batch of dungeon vermin sculpted and curing at the moment but have discovered that I've run out of 20mm round bases so have had to order another batch before I can get them painted so I'll have a bit of a backlog of figures to work on once I get back to work which is actually pretty handy as I feel that it would be a good way to spend my remaining lockdown time getting as much stuff ready for painting as possible.

I do hope to be able to use some of my existing forces to play a game or two of Brutal Quest to get to grips with the rules this weekend but will see how I get on as I've got lots of stuff still to do for sci-fi shenanigans!

Marik Goldhelm summons Vermin to deal with some meddling adventurers

I'm also busily sorting through more stuff for my sci-fi projects so I have some more stuff finished for my game this weekend. I have noticed that I'm running a bit low on figures to work on so may spend a bit of time refreshing more of my old stuff. 

I am however after adding some more suitable bits and bobs to future games and need to get my crimelord, crooked noble and lots more done as well as retinues for each but will need to see if I can find some suitable figures for each as I'm keen to keep the momentum going and get more warbands, retinues and gangs put together and more games played!

I had planned on putting a bit of a Brutal Quest review on todays update but feel it would be better suited to tomorrow and a dedicated post would be better than being mixed in with all the rest of my ramblings.

Until then, All the best!

8 comments:

  1. I like them. The cartoony look goes well with the sculpts in the picture. The terrain is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      Having settled on my own style and scale of figures, I'm going to have to do a bit of redesigning to get some Mordheim style ruins that fits the smaller scale but it should be quite a lot of fun to make a more cartoony version of the Grimdark City!

      Delete
  2. All these models look great! You have an awesome style and I’m glad you’ll be sculpting more! I’m excited to see what you’ll come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I've got a man at arms almost finished as well as a load of assorted spiders and bats made too as the arrival of Brutal Quest has really inspired me to make more!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'm planning on making a bit of a vermin swarm with a larger base containing multiple rats.

      Delete
    2. I'll try and get a couple made today!

      Delete