Thursday 13 December 2018

Assault on Glazers Gulch

Hi!

I've managed to try out Song of Blasters in 6mm scale using some of my Epic figures and thought I'd post a quick battle report!

It had started with panicked calls over the vox from the small settlement of Glazers Gulch and then silence had fallen despite Imperial comms repeated attempts to contact the township. Suspecting an Orkish raid, especially following the recent skirmishes with the local Badmoon tribe, Captain Vaughn of the Ultramarines has dispatched a squad of troops to find out what has befallen Glazers Gulch.

As the Rhino's approached the outlying buildings, they found a scene of devastation, the settlers slain and the buildings wrecked. This isn't the work of rampaging Orks and then in confirmation of his suspicions, the main settlement comes into view and groups of red and gold armoured forms can be seen. Traitor Marines!

Vaughn issues a prompt command to attack the despised Sons of Titan!

In game terms, I was trying out the smaller scale to see how it worked so this was more of a playtest than a real battle and featured a few stands a side but it actually went rather well and resulted in a fairly bloody skirmish!

The Ultramarines rolled well to win activation and speeded forward past the ruins of the outlying buildings of Glazers Gulch while the Sons of Titan seemed shocked by the sudden appearance of their Imperial foes and while the loyalists surged forward, the traitors failed to activate for the entire first turn!

 Imperial troops deploy (Vaughn's standard was lost to the jaws of a furry predator in an earlier incident and still needs replacing)

The Ultramarines also won the initiative in the second turn and opted to deploy from their Rhinos and let rip at the Sons of Titan before they got to activate. Their concentrated bolter fire shredded one of the traitors APC's but the rest survived the fusilade.

 Sons of Titan amongst the ruins

The following turn saw the traitors let forth a bellow of rage and storm towards the Ultramarines and in the ensuing carnage, Vaughn was killed and one of the Ultramarine Rhinos was badly damaged having been rammed by the Sons of Titan spiked APC.

In return the Ultramarines managed to slay the traitor champion before retreating with the body of their commander.

 Early on in the battle

All in all, the game lasted about 20 minutes and ran to about four turns. I need to tweak how transports work but it was rather good fun with the Ultramarines being excellent at short to medium range before getting a bit of a pasting in close combat from the Traitor marines.

Hopefully I'll have chance to play a somewhat larger game in the coming week with my Ultramarines facing off against my Eldar raiders and I'll see how Song of Blasters copes with multiple units, flyers and heavy tanks!

I've also been thinking of using my Epic stuff to try out 40k 8th edition as it looks like it could shoe horn in quite well but we shall see how we go...

In the meantime, All the best!

3 comments:

  1. Pretty interesting, I like what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I definitely would like to see more 6mm battle reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see what I can do!

    I've got lots of bits and bobs to paint up before I can get some more reasonable units put together!

    Hopefully I'll get chance to play another small game soon though!

    ReplyDelete