Sunday 5 November 2023

Tiny Skirmish!

 Hi!

I fancied playing a bit of a game last night and not wanting to rummage out tons of 28mm scale terrain, I decided to play a small skirmish in 6mm scale using the first bits and bobs I found in my display cabinet.

Ultramarine Patrol

My Ultramarines would try and drive off the marauding Eldar who were seeking to raid the Imperial settlement somewhere on the border. The force was a bit adhoc, consisting of my command squad transported in a Rhino and supported by a pair of Centurion heavy power armour suits.


Eldar Warparty

The Eldar force had two squads of Guardians led by a Warlock and supported by a Wraithlord. Their objective was to occupy. the settlement and loot the buildings while holding off the forces of the Imperium.


The table was my small pinboard with a smattering of buildings and rocky outcrops and I pretty much made up the rules as I went, using a mixture of D6's and Havoc dice when I needed to roll for attacks and it worked out pretty well with the Imperials initially trying to drive out the Eldar with their heavy power armoured troops but taking fire from the Eldar dreadnought in return whilst the command team tried to outmanoeuvre the Eldar on the flank.

It looked like the Imperial troops were going to hold the field with the Eldar dreadnought taking damage and one of the Guardian stands wiped out but with some lucky dice rolls, the Warlocks raiding party destroyed both of the Centurions and it was left to the Rhino to suppress the Guardians occupying the building long enough for the command squad to get close enough but it was too late. Despite the stormbolter on the Rhino eventually shredding the Guardians, the Warlock then destroyed the vehicle with some Eldrich power leaving the command squad isolated and forced to retreat.

I must admit that I do really enjoy these tiny skirmishes in 6mm, especially as it reminds me of 2nd edition 40k and I will be playing some more games when I get chance with some slightly larger forces as its a great way to get some quick games in without needing a lot of space or time.

I'm actually thinking of making some more small skirmish forces in 6mm using GZG or Brigade Models as the basis with a platoon of infantry backed up with the odd vehicle or two or even throwing in a Battle Mech or two so I can play some small skirmishes in other settings too.

In other news, I've got the first half of my new warband for my Death in the Throne Room campaign painted and just need to add some bits and bobs to the bases before getting some pics so fingers crossed, I'll get them ready to update before I return to work tomorrow.

In the meantime, All the best!

2 comments: