Sunday 24 July 2022

Grune Warthide: Cursed Dwarf

Hi!

I've been beavering away with some RPG stuff and trying to make sense of the assorted ideas I've got floating around but I've managed to get another figure sculpted and painted up in the form of Grune Warthide!


Following one of my previous posts about randomly creating a character for a solo RPG, I ended up with Grune Warthide, previously Grune the Handsome who hails from a northern hold where he was a tunnel fighter, tasked with keeping the Dwarven Labyrinth, a vast network of subterranean tunnels, caverns and halls free from the taint of the upper world of Aeroth.

Sadly he seems to have been mutated and has been exiled from his hold as he searches for a cure.


Armed with a hand axe and equipped with chainmail and a shield, Grune is pretty decent in close combat but not the sharpest tool in the shed, possibly due to his shock at being mutated.

He's made from fimo for the most part with greenstuff details and plasticard shield and axe and was great fun to build as he's going to make for a great addition to my Somewhere on the Border campaign once I get it up and running!

Here's the original artwork:

He's a bit different from the original art as I gave him a leather jerkin and slightly slicked back hair rather than the wild tufts he originally sported but still hopefully recognisable as the same character.

I've been working on quite a few ideas for a solo mini campaign and have actually played out several quests with another character I've rolled up called Fael who is a female barbarian and her goat companion Modwen and its really helping me develop both the setting and getting into the swing of a solo RPG and using both Brutal Quest and Rory's Story Cubes to develop a game that is fun to play and a narrative that is proving to be oddly compelling, despite being created using random dice!

Hopefully I'll get some artwork up for Fael, Modwen and their new companion Arad the Golem in the not too distant future along with a bit of a breakdown of how a session runs but for now, All the best!

6 comments:

  1. He's Brilliant! I love how you just made him come to life right off the page. Fantastic work from the concept, to the sculpt, to the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I've found myself wanting to get sculpting and drawing more often and it seems to have spurred me on to play lots more games too!

      Delete
  2. I like the miniature a lot! Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fan. Tas. Tic.
    Seriously, this is so awesome, not only to bring a drawing to life, but your own art to 3D. Amazing work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the kind words!

      I seem to be going through a phase where I want to draw more, which makes me want to sculpt more, which makes me want to paint more, which makes me want to play more games!

      Delete