Saturday 4 December 2021

Rangers Of Shadow Deep?

 Hi!

I've found myself perusing with interest some battle reports of Rangers of Shadow Deep and must admit that I'm finding myself rather tempted to have a bit at a bash at it in the new year once the festive season and all its business is over with.

I'd initially ignored the game but have recently watched Ash of Guerrilla Miniature Games campaign and it looks pretty interesting and actually reminded me of the old Simon R Green Forest Kingdom books, especially Blue Moon Rising and Blood and Honour.


They were cheesy, pulpy fantasy and as a teenager I absolutely loved them and for a while in the 90's Simon R Green was quite a popular author but as tastes change, he seems to have somewhat vanished from most bookshops and his books are largely out of print which is a bit of a shame as they're well worth a read but I digress!

What I'm finding myself tempted with is that if I was to embark on this project I have three different options. One is to use proper old school figures and slowly build a themed collection. This would be a great way for me to feed the need to collect some awesome old figures and paint them up and there's tons of brilliant stuff to choose from as the RPG lite sort of game that Rangers is allows one to put together some interesting options.


The downside to such a project is that I would need to spend an amount of cash to get the figures I needed and a lot of the old Citadel stuff I covet is getting to be silly prices on Ebay and while there are some really nice and characterful sculpts from modern producers, the amount of detail on may is off putting to say the least and I'm aware of the fact that I tend to start projects and not finish them!

The second option is to set the action in my world of Aeroth and sculpt my own figures. This has the added benefit of getting me more interesting stuff for my Boar Company to fight and quite a few folks have mentioned that they like seeing them in action.


I'm currently pretty drawn to this option as I really do want to flesh out the warbands I have access to and I do enjoy sculpting the little chaps but there is also a third option that may yet win out: 

Robots of Scrap Deep! Yes I'm thinking of pootling about with setting the action in a planet wide scrapyard and making the rangers and their foes robotic!


Goodness knows how things will go as there's not much I can do at the moment as work is pretty full on but in January I hope to lay out some goals for myself to work towards and it may be a fun project to work on!

Either way, I'm going to pick up the PDF and see what it's like and will see how things go from there but I'm leaving my options open for the time being as I genuinely don't know which approach I will end up going for. 

In the meantime, All the best!

10 comments:

  1. Dooooo it! And never discount the ultimate option of: ‘all of the above’; I’ve got Ronin of Shadow Deep on the back burner after a play through with more traditional fantasy characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to track down a 2nd hand copy of the book so will be going forward with the project and am scribbling some initial designs for the assorted gubbins I'm going to need!

      I'm actually tempted to do all three options but don't want to go mental so will see how things go!

      Delete
  2. And another thought, what about your dark fantasy Britain setting, kill two birds with one stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a good idea!

      I've got lots of bits and bobs still to build and paint for that project...

      Delete
  3. My vote is more Boar company. You can also use the Human town you have already set up as a base for some human adventures as well. Sorry its name escapes me at the moment. And thanks for bring up the Forest Kingdom books. I need a break from reading of history stuff, and some old fashion fantasy will work just fine for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite alright!

      I've got some Children of the Worm designs that I'm hoping to build over the next couple of weeks to act as Zombies which will give me enough for the initial scenarios but need to make more adventurers and companions, not to mention some scenery!

      Delete
  4. LoL second option you say. As if there was any other option.

    Because there isn't. I command!

    So give us moar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!

      As I've finally managed to lay hands on a physical copy of the book, I'm hoping to spend a bit of time getting some sculpting done!

      Delete
  5. I'm also thinking of playing some Rangers, so I'm excited for this news. Maybe I can even convert some RPG friends over.

    Personally I'd like to see more Boar company or robots. I love your sculpts and would like to see you expand out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to get cracking! I've actually got a load of designs for Rusty Robots and my Boar Company so we shall see how things go!

      Delete