Monday 14 June 2021

Dark Age Brutal Quest Project Part 5: Fyrd and Lost Legion

 Hi!

I've managed to get some photos of the assorted gubbins that I've been working on over the last couple of weeks and have finally got round to posting them here!

First up, there's my Lost Legion:


Representing a cohort of Caesar's XIII legion, also known as the Gemina who were dispatched to Britannia in 55BC in search of a valuable artefact for Caesar and vanished into the mists only to reemerge over 800 years later, these were test pieces initially but I liked how they turned out and have found myself adding a small faction of them to my setting!

I have re-worked them a bit to give them less pallid skin and redone bases to add a more grim and grimy feel to them and am really pleased with their new finish and am now looking to pick up a sprue of Gladius wielding ones as well as a command sprue to give me some leaders...

Next up, there's some lowly Saxon Fyrd:
 

I must admit that I really enjoyed painting them with a limited palette of greens and browns and game wise, they will probably represent lowly levy troops or even bandits and as such I went with a bit of a random mixture of weapons and equipment. I think I need another sprue of them to give me some more options for some low level opponents for my adventurers to slay and am also after a couple of archers to give them some more effective ranged firepower.

One of the best things about playing super small skirmish games is that forces are generally pretty cheap and quick to put together with the Fyrd costing me about £3 and the Lost Legion being free with Wargames Illustrated! 

I'm currently working on getting my Anglo Saxon adventuring party built and painted before moving onto some Vikings and beasts but I'm really enjoying the project and looking forward to getting enough painted to play some games in the not too distant future (once I've got some decent scenery built!)

A Lost Legion patrol clashes with some Saxon Fyrd

Hopefully I'll get the three adventurers finished this week and will post further progress when I do and will start fleshing out the setting to boot. I've also got loads of reading to be getting on with so we shall see how I get on but in the meantime, All the best!

6 comments:

  1. I’m fairly certain I’ve got the remnants of a box of gladius armed veterans in the basement if you fancy a trade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!

      What are you after? I only need about four or five Romans but I'm happy to trade for them!

      Delete
  2. Very cool models, and fantastic paint jobs. I really like the work on the Fyrd shields. They look used! Looking forward to checking out what’s to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I was going to use shield transfers but decided that old school hand painted and grubby was the way to go!

      Delete
  3. The last pic is my fav! A very gloomy setting, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!

      I've really tried to go for a dark and gloomy finish with all the figures in the project!

      I have to get some scenery sorted out too but am needing to collect some supplies first!

      Delete