Tuesday 19 November 2019

Land Ironclads Ponderings

Hi!

I've been a tad busy with work related shenanigans over the last month or so since my last post but have managed to paint some more 15mm gubbins which I will try and get some pics of in the next week or so once the batch of them are all finished but in the meantime I've been pondering a serious return to my fantasy Land Ironclads project.

 Orc Warbeasts with infantry

I started 2019 with quite a bit of activity around the tiny 2mm scale figures and was really progressing well with them until I hit a bit of a roadblock in the form of the infantry. I had tried making my own from cut down plastic grid and while it looked ok, I wasn't entirely happy with it and the project kind of fizzled out.

 Titanosaur Wartowers

I actually managed to play out several games of Land Ironclads and rather enjoyed it's simplicity and how well it worked with a grand scaled fantasy setting too and as we head towards the end of the year, I find myself once again drawn to it and really want to have a second bash at it, especially as I still have several unpainted models.

With that in mind, I've cracked out the paints and hope to add the level 3 Dwarf Ironclad and several Thunderhammer tank formations to my Dwarf collection as well as the command Titanosaur to my Orcs.
Dwarf Ironclad formation on maneuver

I've got absolutely tons of ideas for adding to the project and refuse to let it sit unloved any longer and have decided to place a small order with Irregular Miniatures to furnish me with infantry, cavalry and artillery for this project. I had swithered about this for some time as fantasy races in Aeroth don't use horses but a mottley array of lizards, boars and other, more peculiar mounts but in 2mm scale, I don't think it will matter too much!

I've been rather inspired by some of the blogging over on WRONGHAMMER and IN A WORLD OF PAINT  for in one case rather impressive collection of 2mm armies and the other constant blogging and some interesting conversions and a rather fun battle report so have pulled myself together and will hopefully get the odd post done over the coming week or two!

In the meantime, All the best!

8 comments:

  1. In 2mm the visual aspect of the infantry shouldn't matter to much imho. Your tanks and enslaved beasts however are outstanding and I'm happy to hear you were able to overcome your slump. I look forward to see how both armies are going to grow and perhaps even read a report now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bit of a slog to be honest as I'm sorely tempted by the Dark Age of Sigmar style gaming that I've been seeing. Combined with Oldhammer, I've been lured by 28mm and know it would be problematic as I'd never paint them, unlike my assorted small scale projects!

      Delete
    2. There's a huge selection of 10mm and 15mm models to choose from if you want to take this route. Personally I've been playing Mordheim and AoS skirmish with my 15mm fantasy models, I don't think I'll ever go back to 28mm, especially not now that World of Twilight has got a 15mm range.

      Delete
    3. Indeed!

      I've spent a bit of time rummaging my 15mm stuff and have painted a few fantasy gubbins over the last couple of days as I've run out of bases for my Land Ironclads project!

      Delete
  2. Glad to have inspired you! I like these guys a lot. Did you make/sculpt the tanks? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Your blog has indeed been an inspiration! I've really enjoyed perusing it over the last while since I discovered it!

      I did indeed make the tiny tanks. It's surprisingly easy in 2mm scale with a bit of plasticard and paper!

      All the best!

      Delete
  3. The tanks and beasties are great, I can vouch for irregular minis, super easy to paint but more detailed than 2mm troops have any right being. It's all about the spectacle on the table which is very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the comments!

      I've really enjoyed perusing Wronghammer for your small scale projects and love the look of the 2mm stuff you've been showcasing recently!

      Delete